Animal Welfare Professionals

• 1.  New Cat Foster or Adoption help

Posted 05-06-2020 01:33 PM

Hello Maddie's folks,

I am looking at either Fostering or adopting a cat. Consider Foster because I have never owned a cat, only dogs, so wanted to see what it is like. But open to both. I live in an apartment pretty spacious, alone. Need an affectionate cat that can travel with me at times (PTSD) I travel for work and would want to bring her w me on some trips. I know some cats like to travel, some don't. Wanting breed recommendations. I can have allergies, but not always and I would take very good care of my cat's health and coat-I am a Nutritionist. Probably cook her food and give her probiotics. 

I also wondered if anyone could tell me an approximate monthly cost for caring for a cat. I will say I am not very fond of taking pets to the Veterinary, as I have ethical issues with how many over charge and over do treatments, drugs and procedures. We had a golden that got cancer and the Vet couldn't do anything useful to help him, so I put him on probiotics, turmeric and turkey tail mushroom. Cancer went away! From that point on I knew I could use my human nutritional education on a dog, but I have a lot less experience with cats. 

I am very loving, nurturing, like to pet, hold, play with my animals. I have raised and cared for many dogs. 

Would love recommendation and guidance. I am a little nervous but ready for this new journey in my life. 

Blessings to all animals caregivers and lovers. 

Kristina

#catinanapartment
    #itwillbemyfirstcat
    #AdoptingaPet

• 2.  RE: New Cat Foster or Adoption help

Posted 05-26-2023 01:32 PM

Hi Kristina, I also think fostering a kitten or dog is a much better option for a beginner. I usually don't stay in one place for too long because of my job. So fostering is a better option for me.  last year, I went to Hoston, Texas and for a few months, I got a chance to foster a kitten out there. it was amazing, I never felt like I was alone or away from home.  I read this blog before getting a cat in Houston it is from the website of a Cat shelter called Garage Gym Cats. Check it out for some tips on How to foster a kitten.

------------------------------
    James Luther
    Owner
    Garage Gym Cats
    ------------------------------