2022 Open Arms Challenge

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

• 1.  What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-07-2021 12:30 PM
      |   view attached
    We're halfway through the challenge period and it's time to check in with our challengers!

Please take a moment to answer the question: what's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact? It could be something as big as removing the adoption application all together or as important as offering marketing, counseling and paperwork in multiple languages.
    If you've made any changes to your adoption application or other paperwork to be more welcoming and inclusive, please upload a copy, image or file and tell us about the intentional changes you've made!

If you're feeling like you're hitting a road block, I've attached a document with a variety of program suggestions/action items that you could take to keep the ball rolling.

------------------------------
    Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-08-2021 04:29 PM
    We've been making steady changes over the years to be more open in all aspects, but recently, we've taken the next step of identifying all of our bilingual staff and now have someone who can speak Spanish available during all of our open hours.  We are implementing other changes with translated written materials, and also a number of our staff are learning sign language.

Cary Lieberman
    Greenhill Humane Society

• 3.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 07:16 PM
    This is great Cary!  I know that when I worked in adoptions, I always felt terrible when we had to have clients come back because we didn't have any one who spoke their language.  It's great that you have full coverage for Spanish speakers!

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 4.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 06:07 AM
    Its Meow or Never is starting to implement marketing in Spanish.  We have the Shelterluv application and contract converted into Spanish.  We have Facebook/IG and website pages ready to be loaded up and several posts for social media all ready.  And we have recruited several fosters and volunteers that speak Spanish.  We have some final things to get ready before launch.

Frances Alford
    Director
    Its Meow or Never for Ferals

• 5.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 07:17 PM
    Yes! More Spanish speakers - this going to be so helpful for your community members!!

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 6.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 09:22 AM
    Foothills Animal Shelter is proud to share that we have completely redone our adoption application to ensure that is not creating unintentional barriers to adoption.
    We have made a new application that is much, much shorter and simpler and only asks for the most basic of information about the adopter. I have included our past adoption application and our new one in this post! There were three versions of the old application (cat, dog, and critter) and only one type of the new one. 
    We are excited to see how this helps us connect with our community and get more animals in homes!

Kendall Eckman
    Foothills Animal Shelter

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 07:22 PM
    Hi Kendall,

Sometimes less is enough, isn't it?  You really trimmed down that application.  

I like the idea of one application for all the animals.  I know you just created the new application, but are you planning to keep them on file for returning adopters?  Ie - if someone adopts a cat and then they come back to adopt a dog, can you just refer to the previous application and update as needed?  

And I also see all of the different signoffs on the application.  Do your adopters talk to each of those team members before the adoption?

Thanks!

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 8.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 04:16 PM
    Positively Cats Sanctuary is a small sanctuary but we hope to grow our space and number of cats we can provide for.  The name is getting out now but we have only been in operation for one year.  The sanctuary is specifically a place for cats testing positive for Feline Leukemia and/or Feline Immunodeficiency Viruses.  These cats often are euthanized even in the prime of their lives.  I believe this is in part due to a lack of education.  My participation in this challenge has pushed me into contact with people who do not speak English as their first language but rather are speaking Spanish, French or German, three populations of people in our community and cities nearby.  And because we are primarily an English speaking community, I have created a Tri-fold brochure that has been translated into all four languages.  These brochures have been offered to rescues, veterinarian offices, spay/neuter clinics and pet stores big and small.  Not only does it seek to educate people who may face the possibility of discovering their cat is infected with one of these viruses but it will introduce the sanctuary and the resident cats to them.  The residents range from a 1 year old found in a garden center to a 10 year old fighting his way back from near starvation on the streets to a 17 year old who was loved in the same home, positive since she was 10 years old, until her owner faces her own medical issues and could not care for her.  
    I do not advertise other than this brochure or word of mouth because of limited space but it is time to grow and be available to help more cats, educate more people including cat owners and people who care for cats and never let culture, language or differences stop this education.  

Feline Leukemia and/or Feline Immunodeficiency Viruses

Brochure information

Amy Fisher
    Positively Cats Sanctuary

• 9.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 12-09-2021 07:25 PM
    Hi Amy,

Willie Nelson is a purrfect cat name!  And my first job in animal welfare was at a sanctuary for FeLV and FIV+ cats.  

How interesting that French and German are popular languages in your area.  How did you get the brochure translated?  And have you had any feedback on them yet?

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 10.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 01-03-2022 08:44 PM
    Hi groupees, 
         Thank you for the positive feedback on my project.  The French originally settled in the coastal region of Louisiana during what was called "Le Grande Derangement", essentially they had come to the western Atlantic shore of Canada to seek sanctuary from the French government to be able to worship as they chose as Catholics.  The area was later taken over by the English and they were further not allowed to worship as they chose.  The English tried many ways to make them pay complete loyalty to the British Crown but we are a stubborn bunch.  The English, to get the Acadians (shortened to Cajuns) out of their hair, summoned all teen boys and men to the church.  They were locked in as the women and children were put on boats and set in the Atlantic down the US coast.  After the women and children had been afloat several days the men and 

• 11.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 01-03-2022 09:44 PM
    Continued. . .
    Teen boys were set afloat.  Many Acadians died at sea.  Of those who survived a few came ashore all along the eastern seaboard but a majority of them did not step foot on land until they got to the coast of the Louisiana Purchase.  The land was deserted and warm, full of native animals and foliage and a lot were editable.  These are my ancestors.  New Orleans has been under many flags including the French and Spanish.  The German town, Robert's Cove was founded by a German priest who had been called from Germany to minister to a large gathering of German immigrants  in New Orleans.  The town was named for the landowner of an area about 200 miles west of New Orleans, Benjamin Robert.  In the next several years more families came to the area fromGermany fleeing persecution for their Catholic religion.  During WWI the Louisiana State government denied the expression of German culture including the use of the language.  The area (it is a settlement, not an actual town) has returned to its heritage as has the central Southern area returned to French.  Many schools encourage the languages and the cultures are often the focus of festivals.  
    My sister helped me with the translations using a program she uses in her job at the medical division of General Electric in Salt Lake City where the engineers create the huge CT machines and other medical machines.  Her job includes translating the used manuals into other languages when the machines are sold out of our Country.  Then we had language classes at a high school in North Louisiana to check the correctness of spelling and choice of wordage.  
    I have had a few printed and distributed to see if the demand was a large as I had hoped.  Yep!!  Several individuals have been very excited and have donated money and their connections with printing companies in exchange for some brochures to hand out.  That printing has begun and I am waiting with baited breath to get them into the hands of Veterinarians, shelters, rescues and others who can make a difference in the lives of FeLV and FIV positive cats through education that these Biruses do not have to mean a death sentence!
    Amy Fisher

• 12.  RE: What's ONE thing you've changed in your adoption, volunteer or foster process that has made the biggest impact?

Posted 01-04-2022 09:47 AM
    Wow - thanks for the history lesson Amy!  I love that even in an area with a history of intolerance, your organization is working to be more inclusive!

And way to use your personal connections with your sister and community connections with the language program!  It's really cool to see so many organizations reaching out to schools in their area and getting positive responses!

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund