Animal Welfare Professionals

Expand all | Collapse all

Hosting a vaccination clinic?

• 1.  Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 07:33 AM
    Do any of you have advice on hosting a vaccination clinic in a small rural area?  

There is a veterinarian in this town so rabies is an option as well, but wasn't sure the best place to start as far as purchasing vaccines, marketing, etc.  I am a third party that will be helping get this started and want to offer any advice I can to the small city shelter wanting to host this event.

#AccesstoCare
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #PetSupportServices*
    ------------------------------
    Lauren Cline
    Saving Grace Pit Bull Rescue
    -----------------------------

#Clinic
    #vaccination
    #rural
    #rabies
    #vet
    ​​​​​​​​​

• 2.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 09:12 AM
    Hi Lauren, I might be able to help you. I've been holding free-to-low cost vaccinations clinics in my city for the last six years. Were you planning to just provide basic vaccinations like Rabies, Da2pp, microchips, etc.? How many pets were you hoping to serve? Feel free to reply here or if you'd rather, you can email me at MelissaH@AnimalHumaneNM.org and we can chat more.

melissa hubbell

• 3.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 10:06 AM
    Thank you so much for your response.  Probably 100 pets is my hope.  I'm not the main person putting it on but was asked for help and advice so trying to help guide on where to begin.

Lauren Cline

• 4.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 10:32 AM
      |   view attached
    I am the Executive Director for Northeast Arkansans for Animals (NAFA Rescue).  We have been sponsoring monthly low cost vaccination clinics since 2006 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, except during 2020 and we only held 4 clinics then.

We have had two or three veterinarians through 15 years.  We pay the veterinarian, but everyone else is a volunteer.  Our first few years we only saw 20 to 30 people a month.  Now we average at lease 125 to 175 dogs and cats per month.   We charge $10 each for Rabies, 5 in 1, Bordetella and 3 in 1 for cats.  We also offer heartworm testing for $10.  Our state requires rabies vaccinations so there are no qualifications for rabies only.  For all other vaccinations and heartworm test they must be low income, disabled, unemployed, elderly,  US veteran or active Military in the family, ASU university student or a rescue animal.  They may not have seen a veterinarian clinic for vaccinations in the past 12 months (except low cost clinics).  Everyone most get a rabies vaccination unless they can bring a certificate dated within the past 11 months.  Everyone receives a rabies tag, certificate and receipt showing the vaccinations/services they received.

Individuals can order Nexgard, Tri-Heart Plus and Advantage Multi and starting this month Revolt.  They order the day of the shot clinic and pick the meds up the following week.

NAFA Rescue does not have a shelter.  We partner with the local animal control department and for years had the clinics there.  However, we out grew the facility and now have access to a community building once a month.   It currently takes 11 volunteers, plus the vet to get this done in our four hour window.  

It is definitely not a fundraising activity, but it provides a community service that is unimaginable for the pets and people who love them, but can not afford veterinarian clinic prices.  We do recommend that individuals coming to the clinics to get a regular vet, but very few of them can.  We have people pay in change, one dollar bills and occasionally we will take kittens or puppies in exchange for the mothers getting vaccinated at no charge.  We also offer information on low cost spay/neuter.

Hope this helps.  If you have more questions or need more details, please email nafahelp@gmail.com

Wannda Turner

Ella Turner
    NAFA Board

• 5.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 11:53 AM
    Would you both be ok if I shared your emails to the head person putting this on?

Lauren Cline

• 6.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 02:03 PM
    Yes.  You may share it with whomever needs it.

Wannda Turner
    nafahelp@gmail.com

Ella Turner
    NAFA Board

• 7.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-14-2021 02:19 PM
    Yes! Of course. Sorry if this is a double post. I just wrote a big, long response and now I can't find it. :( My contact information is MelissaH@AnimalHumaneNM.org and my direct line is 505-938-7892.  I've learned a lot by trial and error and lots of mistakes but I feel like I'm pretty confident in managing the clinics now. Just to give her some more information - pre-COVID, we held clinics about 5 times a year and served around 150-200 pets with three veterinarians. This was a first come, first served model and pet parents often waited for services 2-4 hours.  They'd wait in line, pay, receive paperwork to fill out and be given a number. The number "confirmed" they'd be able to be seen by the vet & also gave them freedom to get out of line and spread out. We usually stopped taking new pet owners around the 175 park because we didn't want anyone to wait & then not be able to be served (we'd eventually dwindle in supplies).  This model was fine but had it's set of issues (mostly pet owners having to wait a long time to be served, etc.) Since COVID, we've used Acuity Scheduling to make appointments pre-event.  Instead of waiting hours, most clients wait about 5-10 minutes. We also have them wait in their vehicle and there's less loose pets & potential dog fights. For both of these models, we charge $10 per pet as an "entry fee." This is a personal preference because I've found many people know their pet needs vaccinations but don't know exactly which one's they need. The entry fee covers everything, whether you're getting all of them (da2pp, Rabies & a microchip) or just one.  The cost would be VERY affordable if we didn't purchase microchips (we pay$9.99 at cost/chip).  Luckily, we had a private funder purchase those for us so it doesn't cost much to put these on. Most everyone, including the veterinarians are volunteers (except a few key staff members).

melissa hubbell

• 8.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-15-2021 01:24 PM
    Thank you for the detailed information and time.  I have passed your contact information on.

Lauren Cline

• 9.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-14-2021 07:49 PM
    You can absolutely share my contact information. Email is MelissaH@AnimalHumaneNM.org and direct line is 505-938-7892.  I'm happy to chat with them.  Pre-COVID we did had a first-come, first-served model and charged $10 per pet as an "entry fee." Some people don't know exactly what vaccinations their pets need, they just know they need them so the entry free price makes it a lot easier on me.  We offer Rabies, Da2pp, HCP and Microchips. Our costliest item we purchase is microchips at $9.99/chip. If a pet is coming to get everything, we lose some money but not everyone needs a microchip in ABQ. The first come, first served model worked fine but pet owners often waited 2-4 hours to be served (with 2-3 veterinarians) and had to stand in line or wait around outside with their pets (which can be difficult).  We accepted cash & credit card at the door. Since COVID, we started using Acuity Scheduling. Clients sign up online (or if they don't have web access they can call me directly and I can sign them up via phone) and pick their appointment and then just show up 5 minutes before their appointment. It's made things a lot more manageable for me and the pets + people seem less stressed. Does the shelter have one veterinarian who will be helping? I always recommend no more than 50 pets to one vet because I feel like that takes about 3-4 hours.  If there's only one vet, I'd maybe start with that and see how well received it is.

melissa hubbell

• 10.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 02-03-2022 09:42 AM
    Hi there!   Did you have to get any special permits to do this clinic?

Lacie Davis
    SPCA of Brevard

• 11.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 02-04-2022 08:48 AM
    Hello! We didn't have to request any special permits, we did get permission from the county/city to host at a local park to allow us some space but that was about it :) 

--
    Renegade Animal Welfare & Rescue
    731 E. Yosemite Ave., Ste. B #425, Merced, CA 95340-8038

• 12.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 11:57 AM
    Hello! We hosted a rural shot clinic for about a year before COVID. I definitely have some pointers we learned along the way if you want to chat! We didn't offer rabies because we didn't have a vet willing to do it, but we did DHPP/FVRCP/Microchips for $5 each. It was a big success actually and we loved doing it...just haven't picked it back up since COVID took it offline.

My email is info@renegadeawr.com if you want to share :) Thanks!

Sarah Rank

• 13.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-13-2021 03:42 PM
    My previous organization started running vaccine clinics during covid as a way to get vet care to the community that needed it.  We did drive thru style with three stations, one vet, one tech and lots of volunteers.  Masks required, humans didn't even get out of the car.  Quick and easy.  $15 each vaccine. We also sold flea preventative for $10/dose.  Promoted on social media and ask folks to line up.  It went smooth and could get through approximately 60 animals in two hours.

Jamie Case
    American Pets Alive!

• 14.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 08-16-2021 08:56 AM
    As a cat advocate, I would strongly recommend the "drive-thru" style, as well. Many more cat owners are willing to come if they do not have to haul their cat inside a loud, scary clinic with 100 dogs waiting. During COVID, it will require some creativity, but I've never seen more cats served than when I helped PACC run a drive-thru clinic and we simply vaccinated cats in cars.

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive

• 15.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 09-02-2021 11:27 AM
    If you are non-profit, best to just ask for donations,  and work with veterinarians or vaccine manf. reps to get short-dated vaccines donated. Otherwise there are income-reporting issues. Pets should all be examined by a veterinarian, prior to getting vaccinated and wait 15 minutes before leaving. The drive through model for dogs is sub-standard, but cats should/can be examined and vaccinated in the vehicle to avoid an escape. Its not worth doing a vaccine clinic without doing rabies, it's the only legally required vaccine.

Jon Geller
    The Street Dog Coalition

• 16.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 02-04-2022 08:04 AM
    Hello-

We are going to start drive through vaccine clinics and had questions about cats.  Do you have any difficulties with cats getting loose?  Do you climb into the car with doors shut to vaccinate?  Do you ask the owners to step out of the car while you vaccinate?  

Thank you for your help!

Jean

Jean Gibowski
    Kitsap Humane Societey

• 17.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 02-04-2022 08:12 AM
    Hi Jean,

Many cats arrived loose in cars as owners did not have carriers (another good reason to offer drive-thru style clinics.) This was pre-COVID so you may want to modify procedures accordingly, but no cats escaped. I got into the car, closed the door, ensured windows were rolled up, rarely even took the cat out of her carrier if she was in one, and just chipped/vaccinated the cat within minutes. It was painless and the cat owners so appreciated not having to haul the cat out of the car, into a clinic. I appreciated not having to drag a cat out of her carrier and deal with a terrified cat wanting to bite me. It was so much less stressful for all involved.

Monica Frenden-Tarant
    Chief Innovation Officer: Feline Lifesaving
    Cincinnati Animal CARE with The Joanie Bernard Foundation

• 18.  RE: Hosting a vaccination clinic?

Posted 02-04-2022 08:50 AM
    About the cats, we didn't have any issues really but we just kind of took it case by case. I had one person who brought multiple scared cats and I just climbed into the car, another person brought them in top-load kennels and was comfortable with holding their cat so we did it at the tables. I really just judged off each cat how I thought they would best be handled. 

--
    Renegade Animal Welfare & Rescue
    731 E. Yosemite Ave., Ste. B #425, Merced, CA 95340-8038