Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-14-2024 08:40 AM
      |   view attached

I volunteer with the nonprofit 2nd Chance 4 Pets. We are an all-virtual-volunteer advocacy organization (not a rescue).  Since we were established 20 years ago, our entire focus is providing resources and programs to help pet owners plan for the possibility that their pets might outlive them.  

Here are several resources you can pass on to pet owners, fosters, volunteers in your community. Please consider adding a question on your adoption forms, asking adopters to confirm who would take over the care of their pets should they no longer be able to.

Most Americans do not have a plan in place to take care of their pets, which means many pets are placed in shelters and euthanized after the death of their owner. You can make sure this won't happen to your pets by using 2nd Chance 4 Pets' free online will-writing tool.   2nd Chance 4 Pets covers the cost for this online will. It's easy to use and legal in 50 states.

One question we often hear is, "Who should I name in my will as my pet's caregiver?" Here are a few suggestions:

• Identify at least one person or organization who will agree to care of your pets should that become necessary.

• If you do not have a friend or family member lined up as a backup caregiver for your pets, discuss this with your groomer, pet sitter, dog walker, veterinarian and local animal rescue groups.

• Reach out to a local animal welfare organization to establish a formal, written agreement to name them in your will as your pets' backup caregiver.

If you are still unable to identify committed backup caregivers, one of the animal sanctuaries or perpetual care programs listed on 2nd Chance 4 Pets' Resources page may be an option for your pets' lifetime care. (2nd Chance 4 Pets is not affiliated with these programs; contact them directly for more information.)

everal free resources:

·       If Something Happens to you, What Happens to Your Pets?

·       Who Will Care for Your Pet After You're Gone?

·       Estate Planning For our Pets

·       Planning for the Lifetime Care of Your Pets: Including Your New Year's Resolutions

·       Pet Trust Primer

·       Frequently Asked Questions About Pet Trust

Amy Shever

2nd Chance 4 Pets

https://2ndchance4pets.org/

facebook.com/2ndChance4Pets

If anything happened to you, what would happen to your pets?

#AccesstoCare
    #DisasterRelief
    #EducationandTraining
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #MarketingandSocialMedia
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Amy Shever
    (Volunteer) Executive Director
    2nd Chance 4 Pets
    CA

• 2.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-15-2024 10:05 AM

I never knew of your org. I am Realtor who specializes in selling homes after the owners death, infirmity/ care home.  I see it many times a year that the family takes the pet to shelters.  In many cases the person/org that they have in mind, changes there mind, is already full, the pet is grieving. I keep trying to tell attorneys I work with that need to have back up #1,  back up #2,  and even back #3. 

Last year I fostered a senior gsd, who's owners had several calamities in a short succession. In lost home fire in Santa Cruz mountain's,  Dad had stage 4 lung cancer and died, 45 days later Mom had a nasty fall broke hips, shoulder, concussion, tore skin to bone on elbow, knees (trying to climb back up hill after injury). Mom's older brother is rancher and would have just allowed  gsd to roam the back 100 ac.  I fostered her until she went to the bridge, With her Mom at her side.

Janice Wheeler
    Foster
    TSGSR
    CA

• 3.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-15-2024 10:17 AM
      |   view attached

Yes, unfortunately many pet owners don't think about the possibility that their pets might outlive them or they may not have identified a backup caregiver. If you would like any of our print materials, please send an email to info@2ndchance4pets.org with your address. Please help spread the word by sharing links to our facebook page and website 2nd Chance 4 Pets

2nd Chance 4 Pets remove preview
    2nd Chance 4 Pets
    View this on 2nd Chance 4 Pets >

Amy Shever
    2nd Chance 4 Pets
    CA

• 4.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-15-2024 10:41 AM

I'm definitely going to be sharing your info, both on our pages and with our team.
    We run across stuff like this all the time while doing TNR in our community. One big issue we have is when we are TNRing in mobile home communities, specifically ones 55+, when someone passes away, their family doesn't want to deal with them and usually just open the door and put the animal outside and leave. Many times the animal is used to just one owner and is undersocialized, semiferal, and usually timid and/or terrified. By the time we hear about it, the animal has been outside for weeks or months and not doing particularly well. 
    Sometimes these cats are absorbed into the little colonies with specific feeders and end up inside but other times they just disappear. There are some property managers who let us know and try to help but others that don't really care and do nothing to help these cats.
    We would like to at some point start some type of program for the property managers to be able to get these cats to safety before they are turned loose and out on their own but we also don't have a building, are home based for our foster wing and mostly handle TNR. 

Do any municipalities have a program like this for property managers?

Karen Jealous
    PDX Cat Trapper
    Portland OR

• 5.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-15-2024 11:00 AM

Thank you, Karen!  Our resources are available to any organization across the US, regardless of location. We distribute our resources to animal welfare organizations, veterinarians, pet sitters, aging groups and directly to pet owners throughout the country.

Amy Shever
    2nd Chance 4 Pets
    CA

• 6.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-15-2024 11:27 AM

This recorded webinar might be helpful as well! Lifetime Care for Pets (youtube.com)

Amy Shever
    2nd Chance 4 Pets
    CA

• 7.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-16-2024 05:09 AM

Can you share the resource for the statement "500,000 pets are surrendered each year because they outlive their humans".   That's half a million companion animals.  And then you have the cats and dogs that are left behind when their owner goes into a nursing home, assisted living, the hospital, or off to live with relatives.   Any sites you can share with that data?   Thanks!

julie bacon
    President
    It's Raining Cats and Dogs
    AR

• 8.  RE: 500,000 pets are surrendered to shelters each year because they outlive their humans

Posted 01-16-2024 08:17 AM

Both HSUS and ASPCA have referenced 500,000 in their published articles over the past 10-15 years which leads me to believe that the number is much greater. Best Friends published an article in 2023 that indicated the number of pets surrendered to shelters when their owners passed had increased by 10% during Covid. Link to that article was published a few times on our facebook page in 2023.  Unfortunately, it's close to impossible to locate relevant stats since there are so few organizations consistently collecting and reporting stats.

Amy Shever
    2nd Chance 4 Pets
    CA