Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Conversations - 10/24/22 - Indicators for Predicting the Future

Posted 10-20-2022 10:58 AM
    Updated 10/24 at 3:12pm - Recording is now available to watch on-demand! Complete the giveaway entry form each time you watch to be entered to win up to $10k in grants https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-oct22-giveaway.htm
    Note: Not all views expressed on Community Conversations are endorsed by Maddie’s Fund.

We hope you will join us on Monday, October 24th at 11am PT/2pm ET for our 
    next Community Conversations call.

We will be joined by @Ariel Zhang Vice President of National Programs at Humane Rescue Alliance, for a presentation about Indicators for Predicting the Future.

Why did the AT&T stock price fall after earnings went up? How does this have anything to do with animal welfare? Programs and processes take time to adjust and resources take time to build so leaders can't afford to be reactive. Let's talk about what we can learn from for profit companies and how leaders can use measurements to project the future.

Register here for our Monday Community Conversations: https://maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration

If you are unable to make it live, this thread will be updated with the recording, resources and presentation slides so you can watch whenever you'd like!

You can access Ariel's presentation slides here: https://forum.maddiesfund.org/viewdocument/indicators-for-predicting-the-futur?CommunityKey=afce7f7a-fd5a-431e-9f2a-aaedc46a03d6

#DataandTechnology
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 10/24/22 - Indicators for Predicting the Future

Posted 10-24-2022 04:13 PM
    Thanks to the 230+ attendees who joined us live on today's call! The recording is now available to watch on-demand or to share. And as always, don't forget to complete this entry form for our October grant giveaway: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-oct22-giveaway.htm

Below you'll find a recap of the resources shared during the call and highlights from the chat. If you have any additional questions or thoughts on this topic, we encourage you to comment them below for Ariel to respond to. 

Agenda
    • Welcome from hosts
    • Questions of the Day:
      • [Ed] What is something amazing that happened this past week?
      • [Clare] What is bringing you joy right now?

National Updates

Presentation: Indicators for Predicting the Future 
    Speaker: Ariel Zhang, Vice President of National Programs, Humane Rescue Alliance
    Presentation Slides available to view here:
    https://forum.maddiesfund.org/viewdocument/indicators-for-predicting-the-futur?CommunityKey=afce7f7a-fd5a-431e-9f2a-aaedc46a03d6

Highlights From the Chat:

• "I am a community psychologist and Director of Evaluation and Impact for HASS. Here are some resources for community engagement: https://ctb.ku.edu/en/table- of-contents" -Jamie DeLeeuw
    • "Ariel this is all fascinating and you are looking at community engagement through a new lens, which is powerful in my opinion. It is a new territory in sheltering so worth looking at it through a new lens." -Nadia Oseguera
    • "It's so challenging to think about needing time for any measurements to become a meaningful data set... we're building a bike while riding it." -Emily Wood
    • "Our diversion activities include intake diversion by offering free spay/neuter, pet food pantry, dog houses, TNR, etc. We quantify it by numbers signing up for the services and specifically have a intake diverted check box." -Shaina Knight
    • "Ariel and everyone else - we're trying to find ways to measure meaningful outcomes in community engagement for our shelter. Does anyone have any resources they would suggest?" -David Langley
    • "Best Practices don't exist in community engagement because ultimately, it boils down to the political will of your leadership, stakeholders, and funders. Because these vary from region-to-region, there is no exact template as each "community" presents unique challenges and opportunities. I posit that the most important element in all of this is to figure out how to gauge the community 'temperature' regarding tolerance, expectations and involvement. in other words, what does your community want/need and how do we negotiate with our leadership to meet that demand." -Robert Gruhl
    • "Love that! Data is an investment choice!!" -Elisa Martin
    • "It makes me think of integration with other social services and not seeing animal welfare as separate. For instance, connecting with housing service providers to make referrals and getting training for staff on how to ask questions about housing." -Allison Cardona
    • "pets.findhelp.com should be helpful in monitoring community needs for supportive services" -Christopher Fitzgerald
    ​​

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 10/24/22 - Indicators for Predicting the Future

Posted 10-26-2022 09:19 AM
    Thank you to the team for having me on this call and to everyone for being part of the discussion. Please feel free to reach out at azhang@humaneresourcealliance.org if you want to have any more nerdy data discussions in the future!

Ariel Zhang
    Vice President of National Programs
    Humane Rescue Alliance
    azhang@humanerescuealliance.org

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 10/24/22 - Indicators for Predicting the Future

Posted 10-24-2022 04:34 PM
    Thanks for this presentation, Ariel!  I wasn't familiar with leading and lagging indicators, so this was very helpful. As a consultant, a lot of what i support people with is leading indicators... and then its up to them to the work so that we hopefully see those lagging indicators.   Historically, we've often focused on the lagging indicators, but then you have the correlation/causation issue as well not being able to directly produce those lagging indicators, cos its up to the org i consult with to do that.

So, i definitely see value in looking at leading and lagging indicators to track progress to goals.  Thank you!!

Sheila

Sheila Segurson, DVM
    Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
    Director of Outreach and Research
    Maddie's Fund

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 10/24/22 - Indicators for Predicting the Future

Posted 10-26-2022 09:23 AM
    Thank you, Dr. Segurson! I'm really happy to hear that you found the presentation to be valuable. I would love to chat sometime to hear what kinds of leading indicators you keep top of mind.

Ariel Zhang
    Vice President of National Programs
    Humane Rescue Alliance
    azhang@humanerescuealliance.org