Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Conversations - 2/27/23 - Next Level Partnerships

Posted 02-23-2023 10:32 AM

Updated 2/27/23 at 3:37pm - Recording now available! 

We're back in action on Monday, February 27, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call featuring a presentation on Next Level Partnerships by @Clare Callison

The need to adapt and evolve our local and national rescue partnerships is more important than ever, as shelters and rescues are faced with the continuous challenge of balancing available space and the daily need to save pets.  As a rescue partner, how do you expand your program in order to say "yes" to more intake requests, and build a sustainable program that meets partners where they are. As a municipal shelter, how do you grow your network, improve efficiency, and take a local first approach? This session will answer these questions and more, including a focus on equitable partnerships, and solutions to common shelter/rescue program challenges.

Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration

If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like. After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this February entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-feb23-giveaway.htm

#AdmissionsandIntake(includingIntake-to-placement)
    #CommunityPartnerships*
    #OrganizationalManagement

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/27/23 - Next Level Partnerships

Posted 02-27-2023 04:01 PM

Thanks to the 274 attendees who joined us for the last Community Conversations call of February! The recording is now available to watch on-demand and below you'll find a recap of the updates shared. Don't forget to enter to win a grant for watching the replay or after attending live: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-feb23-giveaway.htm. We'll be announcing the grant winners on next week's call. 

Agenda

• Welcome from hosts
      • Shannon Roebuck, Executive Director, Bridging Impact
      •  Allison Cardona, California State Director, UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program
    • Question of the Day:  With the beauty and business of spring around the corner, how do you prepare to help manage your stress?
      • "Going through closets and getting rid of things I haven't worn or used for the last year" - Debbie Hawkins
      • "Planning things to look forward to like mini vacations :)" - Stacy Beckley 
      • "increasing my therapy sessions! I am already needing the extra support" - Amanda Gray
      • "a lot of cleaning, getting the foster list updated" - Alisa Fraser
      • "Sorting towels, blankets, treats. Renewing protocols." - Kate Williams
      • "Looking for more fosters and requesting KMR." - Jenny Pelton
      • "Inventory of shelter supplies- what will we need for spring/summer- donation requests." - Clare Callison
      • "FAAS is renovating our shelter for the first time in 40 years so that's a big clean up call!" - Rita Ortiz
      • "Just accepted a new position, so I'm learning EVERYTHING about the rescue!" - Cinder Wilkinson-Kenner 
      • "Lots of staff training and foster check ins!" - Kaitie Swedlund
      • "Our lobby is getting painted today!" - Kate Williams
      • "We've been helping start up a new group for TNR in Northern California prior to kitten season so hopefully things in Lake County won't be so bad" - Rachel Watsky
      • "Getting supplies ordered and ready for a lot of upcoming events!" - Beth Gould
      • "Getting rid of emails, updating files, and researching grant opportunities." - Missy Woodward

National Updates

Presentation: Next Level Partnerships presented by Clare Callison, Director of National Operations, Austin Pets Alive!

Contact Info: Clare.Callison@americanpetsalive.org

Need help at your organization?  ShelterSupport@americanpetsalive.org

Related links:

Highlights from the Chat

• "Good language points in marketing and media. SC has experiences this shadow cast too. Some partners aren't aware of their portrayal when adopting out our animals. Respect!" - Lisa Pearce
    • "It's so true the with how important it is to keep the language positive. I was speaking with a vet tech gaining some insights on what would bring staff into shelters vs private practice and she said part of it is the status or desirability is so long with shelters which shouldn't be the case." - Rachel Watsky
    • "We need all our animal partners - for the benefit of the animals! Also, there are places that are awesome but just have too many animals - and places that need more!😉" - Theresa Clifton
    • "It is also important for the agencies sending animals to trust receiving agencies to do the best for the animals. There are times when health or behavior issues come up after transport." - Judy Calhoun
    • "I still get updates via partners from animals I've transferred a decade ago. It always warms my heart." - Ashley Rodriguez
    • "I believe that the need for a common language of behavior & behavioral history is critical to building really effective partnerships, especially for dogs" - Sara Price
    • "I did a Friendsgiving right before Thanksgiving and had 10 different rescues/shelters participated.  It was the 1st time a lot of groups had ever met each other. It was a huge success." - Alicia Mason
    • "My favorite transport program we have is our dog swap. We swap our longer resident dogs with other in-state shelters. Sometimes they just need a new environment and audience to find a home." - Jordan LeVine
    • "We do a quarterly rescue partner meeting where we have rescue program reviews, special speakers, Q&A, gift bags for all the rescues and then the pet food distibution to our rescue partners from donations from local stores. You can reach out to Gina Botticello our Community Partnerships and Programs Supervisor for more details: gbotticello@pascocountyfl.net. We started doing this a few years ago in our shelter but had to move to the theater in the local library.  Typically, over 100 people will attend." - Mike Shumate
      • "LOVE that idea, Mike! I'm definitely going to work on getting something similar going locally." - Victoria Partridge - Street Cats Club
    • "Join Shelters United (for rescues, humane societies too) and order vaccines / med through MWI Animal Products.  Much less expensive than traditional avenues." - Barbara Perry
    • "We put out an email on items that we have to donate to other partners.  When we upgrade computers, old computers are donated to others.  When we update office furniture or kennels, same idea.  We changed to stainless steel bowls and then donated all of our buckets to a horse rescue." - Alisa Mills
    • "My shelter has the resources, but we don't have the staff to implement all our services." - Yvette Castro
    • "Has anyone developed successful partnerships with local veterinarians, veterans groups, or local clubs (Kiwanis, etc)  to promote adoptions or fosters?" - Norma Wallace

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/27/23 - Next Level Partnerships

Posted 02-28-2023 10:14 AM

Underground Dog's mailing address is not attached to its Amazon wish list and I couldn't find it on their website. Could you send that, @Clare Callison

Mahalo!

Steph

Steph Kendrick
    Hawaiian Humane Society

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/27/23 - Next Level Partnerships

Posted 02-28-2023 11:00 AM

Hi @stephanie kendrick! Thank you so much for making a donation, I know it will mean so much to Heather and the region! Do you see where it says "Heather Hall's gift registry" address? Should be in Presidio -- that's the option to choose. Let me know if you can't see it! Thank you again!

Clare Callison
    Director of National Operations
    Austin Pets Alive

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/27/23 - Next Level Partnerships

Posted 02-28-2023 11:40 AM

Mahalo, Clare. Done!

Steph Kendrick
    Hawaiian Humane Society

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/27/23 - Next Level Partnerships

Posted 02-28-2023 12:36 PM

THANK YOU!!! I know it will go a long way -- appreciate you!! :) 

Clare Callison
    Director of National Operations
    Austin Pets Alive