Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Conversations - 4/24/23 - How to Diversify Your Board

Posted 04-20-2023 10:20 AM

Updated 4/24 at 2:50pm - Recording now available to watch on-demand!

We hope to see you on Monday, April 24, 2023 at 11am PT  for our next Community Conversations call! 

We'll learn all about how to diversity your board and why it matters. Our guest speaker will be Christal M. Cherry, Principal + CEO at The Board Pro. In this session, boards will learn how to work to ground organizational values and recruitment practices so that they are inclusive. They will redefine their roles by accepting accountability for setting the tone with deliberate and strategic action to have an increased presence of people of color on boards.

Learning Outcomes:
    ✓ Understand why board diversity matters
    ✓ Identify the characteristics of an inclusive-ready Board
    ✓ Build a pipeline for diverse members
    ✓ Locate sources to recruit diverse members
    ✓ Embrace the value of collective networks in board inclusive culture

Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration

If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like. After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this April entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-apr23-giveaway.htm

#Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 4/24/23 - How to Diversify Your Board

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 04-21-2023 09:33 AM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

I'm looking forward to this call! 

I was wondering how in-depth you will go into board recruitment tactics? I've been experiencing some struggles with my board regarding this topic. Very recently they have shifted their approach to recruitment to 100% exclude any staff input (including from the Executive Director). I completely acknowledge that an ED/CEO should avoid conflicts of interest and would not have an actual vote when determining if a new member will be welcomed to the board, but as I also understand it, best practice is to use the ED/CEO resources, contacts, and knowledge of the community and organization to identify potential board members that would align with the mission vision and values of the organization.  Also, knowing if a potential board member and ED/CEO will work well together doesn't seem like a bad idea to me either - after all those relationships are CRITICAL to the success of a nonprofit.  

Would love some additional insight into this topic! Thanks. :) 

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 4/24/23 - How to Diversify Your Board

Posted 04-22-2023 11:02 AM

It sounds like somebody offered a suggestion to some issue that arose or was anticipated, and they accepted it without considering unintended consequences.  Based on my experience having served on a couple of different boards, studied board development over the years, and worked in human resources doing recruiting, that looks shortsighted.

I recommend the entire board get some education on the subject. I'm sure there are free webinars on board development somewhere. Even YouTube has some great stuff! I suggest looking for Board Recruitment.

Of course the ED  and staff would be the best people to offer suggestions for board nominations! That does not at all mean they have a hand in the process, or influence it in any way.  

The process starts with appointing a nominating committee, not with limiting the recruitnent pool (amacks head very hard)!  GOOD LUCK.

Norma Wallace
    Consultant
    Writing for Results

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 4/24/23 - How to Diversify Your Board

Posted 04-24-2023 08:35 AM

I am really looking forward to this call, thank you for providing this topic and discussion!  We currently have open seats on our Board and are actively recruiting new members, and I want to ensure we are representative of our communities and that we have a variety of perspectives, knowledge, and experiences reflected in our leadership. 

Jane Cornelius
    Board President
    The Humane Society of Hobart

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 4/24/23 - How to Diversify Your Board

Posted 04-24-2023 02:48 PM
      |   view attached

Thank you to the 209 people who joined us live for today's call! The recording is now available to watch on-demand. Below you'll find a recap of the agenda and resources shared during the call. Thank you to our incredible speaker, Christal Cherry, for sharing her expertise and contagious energy throughout her presentation. If you missed the call and are taking a deeper dive into your Board, be sure to watch the recording!  I've attached Christal's presentation slides to this post as well. 

Agenda

National Updates

Presentation:  How to Diversify Your Board

Guest Speaker:

Christal M. Cherry, Principal + CEO, The Board Pro, hello@theboardpro.com, 470-222-3292
    Author of "Mac and Cheez - Being Different is Okay" - www.macandcheez.com 

Learning Outcomes:
    Understand why board diversity matters
    Identify the characteristics of an inclusive-ready Board
    Build a pipeline for diverse members
    Locate sources to recruit diverse members
    Embrace the value of collective networks in board inclusive culture

Highlights From The Chat

Answers to the Question of the day "With all the stress you encounter, what do you look forward to during your day?"

Other highlights from the Chat

• "Even though you are talking about Boards, these are all best practices for making your organization more inclusive, equitable and diverse!" - @Allison Cardona 
    • "If you want change, governance is the best way to get it... This happens in capitalism very effectively (for better or worse). This meeting is so important for any non-profit or company." - @Gilberto Gandra 
    • "So many good points regarding inclusion and culturally exclusive differences" - @Lisa Pearce  
    • "As an Indigenous woman I am annoyed that we are referred to as "other". I want to be counted! haha" - @Jennifer Herne 
    • "So many good ideas! We are re-vamping our board development process right now, and I will definitely be sharing with my board leadership." - @Johanna Humbert 

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

Attachment(s)