The recording of today's call is now available to watch on-demand! Thanks to everyone who joined us live. As always, be sure to complete this entry form whether you watched live or are watching the replay to be entered to win: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-may23-giveaway.htm
- Welcome from host: Ed Jamison, Chief Executive Officer at Operation Kindness
- Question of the day: Anything special inspire you this weekend? A book, a movie, an experience, a win in your shelter?
- "This weekend we had beautiful weather after a few cold days! Birds are starting to come back!" - Elise Smith
- "We were able to reunite a cat with a family that went missing a year ago." - Karen Vandersall
- "Hello from AniMeals in Missoula, MT. This weekend was wet and soggy, but that didn't prevent us from having a lovely fire with friends." - Kyle O'Neill
- "Our local Chamber held its 2d Annual Ladies Luncheon. It was inspirational and uplifting. Met many new ladies, ALL of whom have a love of animals." - Amy Charles
- "We adopted out a cerebellar hypoplasia cat to a wonderful, experienced family AND had one of our behavioral dogs adopted this weekend!!!" - Samantha Smith
- "One of our disabled dog was rescued by Monkeys House and was ground transported Friday." - Steve Marrero
- "Hello from Purrfect Peaches Cat Rescue in Douglasville, Georgia. It's kitten season and the rescue is full of cute kittens." - Beverly Paladinetti
- "It was Pet Expo weekend in Honolulu, a celebration of the human-animal bond, and we got to meet dozens of Hawaiian Humane adopters. So heartwarming to hear their stories." - Steph Kendrick
- "Dogs Matter was able to foster a dog so his owner get check into a inpatient substance abuse program." - Stephen Knight
- April Community Conversations Grant Winners: Congratulations to each person who won $2500 for their organization!
- Ginger Gaskins, Berkeley Animal Center in Moncks Corner, SC
- Jessica Hendrickson, Kenai Animal Shelter in Kenai, AK
- Jim Keller, Homeward Pet Adoption Center in Woodinville, WA
- Rebecca LaDronka, Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter in Mason, MI
- Maddie's Pet Forum $3k Grant Winner: Congratulations to Tamara Cook!
- Compassionate Communication: Supporting People and Pets Through Human-Centered Language with Shannon Glenn, Executive Director, My Pit Bull is Family & North Minneapolis Pet Resource Center and Vincent Medley, Maddie's® Director of Human Animal Support Services, Human Animal Support Services , Tuesday, May 9 at 5 p.m. CT. Register https://zoom.us/webinar/register/8516775956658/WN_UoCI8zCWQMmcSlHkaiBjng#/registration
- GoodPup free spring series on Surrender Prevention: Is it just Mouthiness or Something More?, Thursday, May 18th at 2 PM EST. In this webinar, we'll look at what mouthiness is; teaching dogs better ways to communicate than with their mouth; and how best to address the mouthy behavior once it is already being exhibited. Register https://www.eventbrite.com/e/surrender-prevention-series-mouthy-behavior-tickets-623728297127 All previous webinars are free to access and are available on GoodPup's website: http://goodpup.com/shelters
- Liberty County Animal Services Our office K9 Willy is scheduled for tomorrow. Please pray for Willy!! Can, you please share his link. https://www.facebook.com/100077754533504/videos/230255432945095/
- Maddie's Insights – research you can use – this Thursday, May 11 at noon Pacific: The Five Domains Model for Assessing Animal Welfare: https://maddiesfund-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qgqLNOXcSQuuYDA9FSHsyQ
- Maddie's Fund Monthly Giveaways - Enter here for a chance to win: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-may23-giveaway.htm Open to all who are watching live or on-demand! Be sure to enter each week you attend.
- Maddie's Pet Forum monthly give-away! Maddie's Fund® is giving away a $3,000 grant each month to one lucky Maddie's® Pet Forum member! You'll automatically be entered to win each month when you start a new discussion, reply to a new post. More info: https://chewonthis.maddiesfund.org/2022/11/new-monthly-grant-opportunity/
- Shelter Animals Count Community Services 2022-23 Data Analysis just released. https://www.shelteranimalscount.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/WEB-FINAL-Community-Services-Data-Analysis-2022-2023.pdf
Presentation: Turning Crisis into Action: how a parvo outbreak changed a shelter's culture
Related Links: ASV Guidelines (Association of Shelter Veterinarians) updated edition https://jsmcah.org/index.php/jasv/issue/view/2
Free virtual ASV Shelter Guidelines Re-Boot Camp, May 16, 2023, Learn the updated Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters. Register: https://whova.com/portal/registration/asgs_202303/
Highlights from the Chat
- "I am amazed the city helped out with this!" - Elise Smith
- "Ramon is very humble, and the truth is he worked VERY hard to get city mgmt. to support him and his staff." - Dr. Chumkee Aziz
- "Ramon: You are inspiring!" - Lisa Gilbert
- "Collaboration, innovation, a humble willingness to do what is best for staff and animals alike made a huge difference. Imagine the catastrophe if not for Ramon's outlook and attitude. Way to go, Ramon!" - Amy Charles
- " Congratulations on getting through the crisis. Sometimes feel like the work after is just as tough to try to ensure it doesn't happen again." - Kyla Jacobs
- "Instead of RTO fees, we just charge for a microchip 🙂 It has really helped us get animals home. As a municipal shelter, we aren't a money-making department, so my leadership understands that we are very much trying to be a lifesaving department." - Ashley Rodriguez
- "awesome leader we need more Ramons" - Shannon Kelly
- "Thank you. Great to see there are others who have gone through the crises that we're dealing with as well." - Veronica Frescas
- "This was so powerful! Thank you so much!!" - Natasha Ottati
- "Thank you for sharing your story, Ramon! Dr. Aziz, thanks also to your team who has helped so many of us!" - Suzanna D'Alonzo
Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
Sent: 05-04-2023 11:17 AM
From: Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
Subject: Community Conversations - 5/8/23 - Turning Crisis Into Action: How a Parvo Outbreak Changed a Shelter's Culture
Updated 5/8/23 at 4:44pm - Recording is now available to watch on-demand!
We hope to see you on Monday, May 8, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call! Maddie's Fund will be announcing the April grant winners for Community Conversations and Maddie's Pet Forum so be sure to tune in to see if you are one of the lucky winners.
After giving away some grant money, we will be joined by @Ramon Villatoro Operations Manager at Norfolk Animal Care Center and Dr. @Chumkee Aziz , Outreach Manager at UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program for a very important discussion about turning crisis into action: how a parvo outbreak changed a shelter's culture.
As stray intakes started increasing post-pandemic, maintaining shelter capacity became more difficult at Norfolk Animal Care Center in Virginia as it did for many shelters throughout the country. This presentation will cover the resulting canine parvovirus outbreak that occurred at this shelter, including the risk factors that contributed to, management and outcome of the outbreak. The discussion will focus on how husbandry, medical, and operational procedures were integrated to overcome the outbreak. By making hard decisions, working with city leadership, and changing the organizational cultural at the shelter, this parvo outbreak shifted the shelter from "putting out fires" to proactively focusing on maintain a healthy shelter population.
Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration
If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like. After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this May entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-may23-giveaway.htm
Maddie's Pet Forum Admin