- Welcome – Kristen Hassen, Director, American Pets Alive! -
- QOTD – what is one animal welfare word or expression either go away or be replaced?
- Mary's Motivation – quotes from socialized isolation article; Bissel Pet Foundation Empty the Shelters campaign; The AAWA International Hour this Monday July 12
- Katherine Shenar + Michelle Quigly: The AAWA LGBTQIA Safe Space, Wednesday, July 14
- @Sheila Segurson, DVM, DACVB - Trauma, Stress and Dog Behavior: Research that supports that dogs have repercussions from traumatic experiences that are similar to ours and reflect on what this means related to sheltering, assessing dogs with behavioral concerns, and how we can support our canine companions
List of resources referenced during today’s call
AAWA DEI Survey http://blog.theaawa.org/take-action-dei-survey-now-open/
Best Friends Pet Lifesaving Dashboard
Best Friends Conference Presentations - online through 7/30
Jerica from NACA – https://www.nacanet.org/
Julie Levy, firstname.lastname@example.org - Got space for cats?
The UF/Million Cat Challenge team is consulting for a large south Texas shelter that is over capacity for both dogs and cats. We’re working every angle to reduce their population through live outcomes so they can get enough breathing room to start operational revisions to work within capacity for care. No leaf is unturned on both the intake and the outcome sides.
We’ve been making steady progress on dog placements. However, they have hundreds of cats and kittens in the shelter right now that need to move out right away. The intake diversion/RTF programs are underway/in the works, but that won’t adequately address the current population.
Does the mythical shelter that isn’t overrun with cats this time of year really exist? If so, I would love to chat with you to see how we might work together on behalf of #allthecats. There are resources available to support this mission.
July 9-11, 2021: The ASPCA® Cornell Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Conference
Today 6pm Eastern: Dr. J. Scott Weese Infection Control Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic
Saturday 10am Eastern: Breaking Barriers to Veterinary Care and Veterinary Social Work
Dr. Michael Blackwell, Dr. Pamela Linden
Monday, July 12 6pm ET - The AAWA International hour – email Katherine Shenar if you are interested in joining email@example.com
Wednesday, July 14, 2021 The AAWA LGBTQIA Safe Space
September 27 – November 21, 2021: UF course with Jessica Dolce: Compassion Fatigue Strategies
November 17-19 The AAWA Conference New Orleans - Important Travel Intel
Animal Welfare Turns Away Good Adopters. Here’s What You Can Do About It
Blog from Kristen Hassen https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/animal-welfare-turns-away-good-adopters-heres-what-you-kristen-hassen/?trackingId=cEg5P6MMS2OiUvPONVUX6g%3D%3D
Prevalence of owner-reported behaviours in dogs separated from the litter at two different ages (posted by Alexandra Protopopova)