Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does your shelter or rescue have a day outing foster program for dogs?

• 1.  Does your shelter or rescue have a day outing foster program for dogs?

Posted 12-06-2017 04:00 PM
      |   view attached

I've been talking to people about day outing programs (where pets can go to foster for just a few hours or a whole day), and I'm hearing a ton of success stories. It seems that day outing foster may be 'gateway' to longer-term foster and a way to increase the adoption of medium and large dogs. I'm wondering, does your shelter have a program like this? How is it run? Is the general public able to take dogs on day outings, or only approved foster caregivers and/or volunteers? How successful is it, and do you have any great stories for us?

#dayouting
    #FosterPrograms
    #shorttermfoster
    #powerhour
    #fostercare

• 2.  RE: Does your shelter or rescue have a day outing foster program for dogs?

Posted 12-06-2017 08:34 PM

I looove this idea, as a person interested in fostering dogs. I have reservations about fostering because I have 2 young children, but a "day outing" commitment would be the step I would need to get back into the fostering door. If my local shelter offered this, I would take advantage of it. 

It looks like a shelter in Hawaii offers this program....maybe you could go to check it out  

http://www.hihs.org/services/fieldtrips

#FosterPrograms

• 3.  RE: Does your shelter or rescue have a day outing foster program for dogs?

Posted 12-13-2017 12:43 PM

In our city we have a group that rescues dogs from local animal control and places them with foster parents.

The group rents an adorable house in an accessible area of town where foster parents drop the dogs off each day from 8-5. Potential adopters  are able to adopt while visiting the "adoption house".

This group of foster volunteers raised the money to rent the house, staff the house and fund all medical care for the pets.

They adopt out 30-40 dogs per month. Most incredible.

#FosterPrograms

• 4.  RE: Does your shelter or rescue have a day outing foster program for dogs?

Posted 12-15-2017 09:56 AM

SUCH a great idea!!

#FosterPrograms

• 5.  RE: Does your shelter or rescue have a day outing foster program for dogs?

Posted 12-19-2017 09:45 AM

I would love to contact the rescue that rents the house if you're able to share their name. What a fantastic idea!!

#FosterPrograms