Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Research on illegal dog breeding countermeasures?

Posted 08-02-2021 12:28 PM

Does anyone know of any research that indicates what programs/laws/education help to reduce backyard / illegal dog breeding? Sometimes what we (me) think is right may not be. I am looking to help our local animal control agency with this question.  Like drugs, I believe this is a demand-side issue. Reducing demand is the key. But some primary research would be good.

Thank you.

#LawsandPublicPolicy

------------------------------
    John Brassner

#AdmissionsandIntake(includingIntake-to-placement)
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    ​​​#backyard
    #breeding
    #illegal
    #research​​​​

• 2.  RE: Research on illegal dog breeding countermeasures?

Posted 08-04-2021 05:23 PM
    Hi John,

Interesting question.   In the US, most dog breeding is legal.  In CA, commercial (e.g. puppy mill) breeding is illegal and in most states you need a license if you have over a certain number of dogs or litters per year.

This paper looks interesting: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3316914

Sheila

sheila segurson
    Maddie's Fund

• 3.  RE: Research on illegal dog breeding countermeasures?

Posted 08-04-2021 06:41 PM
    Thank you, Sheila. That is a helpful, if imperfect article. It does focus on the segment I am trying to address: Backyard breeders. But it mostly talks about "fixing" the laws. I don't think illegal breeders care too much about the laws. A smaller section talks about other remedies such as availability of low-cost sterilization programs and creating a community cultural  understanding that backyard breeding /or not sterilizing pets is a bad thing. However, it does not address the demand-side at all which is where I believe the biggest bang-for-the-buck lies: Educate the public that buying from backyard breeders (or any breeders in some locales with over population) is unwise for the animals and the community. This still is a helpful article and thank you for finding it!

John Brassner