Thanks to the 191 attendees who joined us on this morning's call. The recording is now available to watch on-demand. And congrats to the winners of the April Grant Giveaway @Cindy Flauger of Neenah Animal Shelter and @Ashlynn Boyce of Paws and Claws Chicago Rescue who each won $2500! Don't forget to enter for your chance to win each time you attend a call in May by completing this form: https://maddies.fund/3yiEo9M
• Host: Kristen Hassen, Director, American Pets Alive!
Kristen shared this link: Women in Black - world-wide network of women committed to peace with justice and actively opposed to injustice, war, militarism and other forms of violence. https://womeninblack.org/
If you are involved in a new pet identification technology - remote collars, facial recognition, QR technology and want to talk about it on this call, reach out to Kristen Hassen! Kristen.firstname.lastname@example.org
• Question of the Day:
Advice for Human Animal Support Services to address public criticism and the perceived message that keeping pets out of shelters by direct return to caregiver or foster care does not help animals – that strays are ignored or kept from shelter services?
• Zachary Howard student at Hunter College – capstone around the fragmentation of the chipping system - email@example.com
Julie Levy: The US microchip system is a mess. Back in 2004 there was a national push with AVMA and all the chipmakers got together to try to solve this. It failed. Pet's death rekindles electronic ID debate https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2004-07-01/petsdeath-rekindles-electronic-id-debate
2005 Statement from the AVMA in frustration about the dysfunctional state of microchipping in the US: "In the U.S., while we have nationally recommended an ISO standard, we haven't done anything to implement it. We've allowed the manufacturers to do whatever they wanted to do. ... It's finally time for the AVMA to step up to the table and say, 'Here's the appropriate standard, it's going to be the international standard and we need to bring the manufacturers to the table and resolve these issues.'"
Resistance from industry is possible because of their concerns over market share, but Dr. Dee said the AVMA must do the right thing, even if it means hiring attorneys. "Everywhere else in the world, there was resistance, too, but they were all able to come
to the table because of national associations." https://www.avma.org/javmanews/2005-06-15/2005-resolutions-mix-issues-mandates
• Maddie's Fund April Giveaways! And the winners are…. $2,500 each!
Cindy Flauger, Neenah Animal Shelter (Neenah, WI)
Ashlynn Boyce, Paws and Claws Chicago Rescue (Evanton, IL)
• Don't miss this webcast: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 - The Right Care - Drs. Chumkee Aziz, Denae Wagner and Karen Green on how to provide humane housing and match community need to community capacity and shelter services to ensure all animals
receive the care that is right for them. Register: https://maddiesfundorg.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9UHVkuKcQbumXhwr-Y9puw
• GoodPup webinar- Thursday, May 12th at 7 PM EST How'd We Get Here? Troubleshooting Unexpected Problems with a New Dog https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-dog-howd-we-get-here-troubleshootingunexpected-problems-tickets-320315792157
• Best Friends National Conference July 7-10 Raleigh NC https://bestfriends.org/events/best-friends-national-conference
• Maddie's Fund Monthly Giveaways! Enter here for a chance to win CA$H in a random drawing: https://www.maddiesfund.org/friday-community-conversations-may22-giveaway.htm Open to all who are watching live or on-demand! Be sure to enter each week you attend!
• Beck's Place is hiring! Email TrBrad@BecksPlace if you have any questions: https://www.becksplace.org/employment
• Survey link for Let Pet Reunification: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2MFSBYLSession Info & Links
TOPIC 1: The Journey You Own
• Dr. Jyothi Robertson, Principal Consultant, JVR Shelter Strategies https://www.shelterstrategies.com/meet-our-team/jyothi/
• Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Online Meditation Gathering: https://jyo.world/meditation-gathering/
• Register: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0qf-qvqjovGtYhW5kQNH7MfQL2tAr5yBV
Not to be missed!
• Maddie's Candid Conversation with Jyothi Robertson, DVM https://maddies.fund/CandidConvoRobertson
TOPIC 2: HASS and HeARTs Speak Communications Kit: Space Crisis
• Kasey Spain, Marketing and Communications Senior Manager, American Pets Alive! https://americanpetsalive.org/about/staff/kasey-spain
• Arin Greenwood, Editor, writer, communications consultant https://www.linkedin.com/in/arin-greenwood-017a577/
Hearts Speak https://heartsspeak.org/
• Keeping Families Together: https://heartsspeak.org/keeping-families-together/
• Communications Kit - Fostering: https://heartsspeak.org/communications-kit-fostering/
• Communications Kit - Cats: https://heartsspeak.org/communications-kit-cats/
• Communications Kit – Focused Marketing: https://heartsspeak.org/community-focused-marketing-intro/
• Human Animal Support Services https://www.humananimalsupportservices.org/
• Other toolkits can be found here: https://www.humananimalsupportservices.org/proresources/
• Ancestry-inclusive dog genomics challenges popular breed stereotypes: https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abk0639?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D84642491739088231094049347991384876828%7CMCORGID%3D242B6472541199F70A4C98A6%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1651162390&_ga=2.218466969.1066386900.1651162373-689641651.1609118629
• NY Times writeup of the research: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/science/dogsbreed-behavior-genes.html
Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
Sent: 05-04-2022 12:55 PM
From: Human Animal Support Services
Subject: Animal Welfare Leadership Roundup - 5/6/22 - Journey You Own and Space Crisis Communications Kit
Updated 5/6 at 1:25pm - Recording now available! Don't forget to enter to win the May grant giveaway after attending each call or watching recordings on-demand: https://maddies.fund/3yiEo9M
Please join us this Friday for an exciting Animal Welfare Leadership Round-up call. Our guest hosts this week are @Rory Adams and @Jamie Case, American Pets Alive!/Human Animal Support Services.
This week, Maddie's Fund will announce the winners of the April grants giveaway!
Journey You Own - For the past five years, Dr. @Jyothi Robertson has been working on a personal passion project, the Journey You Own, focusing on the inner relationship among environment/crisis, social justice, spiritual awareness/grounding practices, animal welfare, and what keeps us connected to the work we do. Through Journey You Own, Dr. Robertson has created a monthly contemplative meditation space for everyone to come together, experience a 15-minute guided meditation, and after have space for sharing. Join us this Friday to understand how the Journey You Own might use these opportunities to bring awareness and grounding practices to you and your staff.
When space crises strike, we need the community's support and action to help us save lives. But using the same code red messaging too often can lead to your community tuning out just when you need them the most. @Kasey Spain and @Arin Greenwood will be talking about the newest HASS x HeARTs Speak Communications Kit: Space Crisis. This kit is intended to help animal organizations talk to the public about space crises in ways that will motivate people to take action. This kit is jam-packed with a variety of sample social media posts, infographics, talking points, and media pitches that offer different ways of talking about being at crisis capacity, so as not to lose the power of this urgent message.
We can't wait to see you there!