Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Organizational Structure

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 04-22-2024 02:10 PM

Hi all, 

Our organization is experiencing a period of growth (68% over the past two years!) and I am reflecting on our organizational structure and operational processes to ensure we're effectively meeting the needs of our animals and community members. I'd love to learn more about how other humane societies organize their teams and handle various aspects of their operations. 

Departments/Leadership:
    What departments does your organization have and how are they structured?
    Animal Care Team Structure:
    How is your animal care/medical/health/behavior team structured?  How do these teams collaborate and communicate with each other? 
    Areas of Overlap: In your organization, what areas have you identified as overlapping between different teams or departments? How do you manage these overlaps to ensure efficiency and clarity in responsibilities?
    Foster/Adoption Process Ownership: Who owns the foster/adoption process in your humane society? How is this process structured, and what roles are involved in facilitating foster placements and adoptions?
    Change Management: Do you have experience going through a organizational change? What went well? What could have gone better? 

I recognize these are very broad questions and perhaps difficult to answer, but I'd love to learn from other groups on what works for them, especially if you've recently gone through a big change or a restructure. 

If you have any other questions to add to this thread, please feel free. 

Many thanks!
    T

#AdmissionsandIntake(includingIntake-to-placement)
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #FosterPrograms
    #FundraisingandDevelopment
    #MarketingandSocialMedia
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)
    #TransfersandTransport

• 2.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 06-25-2024 01:52 PM

Hi! I am also looking for resources on this topic. Have you had any luck? 

------------------------------
    Paighton Corley
    Director
    Hill country humane society
    TX

• 3.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 30 days ago

I would say this is difficult to answer for many forum members since we all come from various types of rescues and shelters.  We did go through several changes during the last 6 months, from an LLC to a non-profit requiring change from two owners to a board.  Also, the initial Board went through a big change in Feb, from 3 to 5 members and then loss of 3 almost immediately.  We are still working toward getting a good knowledgeable Board going and managing the non-profit.  So we are still in the change mode!  However, we are small rescue, we do not have departments and we do still need fosters for cats and kittens, particularly those who are sick or still require vetting before entering our Catio.  We also are struggling with management of our Catio and Board members who remain active and willing to take on responsibilities.  I am sorry I cannot be more help to you.  Just know you are not alone!

Cynthia Williams
    Board Member
    CATIO CAT LOUNGE INC
    TN

• 4.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 30 days ago

We are also going through the same thing and are trying to sort it out!   We are a foster based rescue and we were trying to figure out what must be done by a staff member and what can be done by a volunteer.  In addition to all the articles in Maddie's U - here is a link to some of the reading that I have been doing:

https://humanepro.org/page/forming-your-team

https://americanpetsalive.org/resources

https://resources.bestfriends.org/shelter-and-rescue-work/help-organizations

• 5.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 29 days ago

Our rescue has been in business for 19 years. I'd started another rescue before this one and got burned (took all my resources, then ousted me), so this one I was in complete control. After two years, I realized I truly couldn't do it by myself and I started allowing other people to come on board. I still remained president, for many years through no choice of my own. This year, I resigned as president and I am now the managing director (didn't care for the title executive director. ) I still do everything I did before, but my decision  is freeing. I'm not attached to the decisions, if that makes sense. We weren't ready to do it before, but it's time. For me, there was always the concern not to cross the lines between the two roles. So, my opinion only, if you want to be the decider, be on the board but don'tbe the one running everything. Second important consideration, and I can't stress this enough, depending on your size, your vision, a participating, active board is crucial. Third, limit term lengths and number of terms. What started our entire metamorphosis was a non-participating board member. We have a three absences and you're out rule, this person would participate every third meeting, filled with opinions, be the challenge vote, and for years did nothing to participate in anyway, despite having the ability to do so. Because of our very long terms, overstayed. Her term was up this January and there you have it.

I've utilized excellent resources over the years and am happy to share them. They helped us define our roles, and give us guidance.  I am enjoying the process and enjoy seeing how things are progressing as we start our 19th year.

Candy Sullivan
    Managing Director
    Candy's Cats, Inc.
    FL

• 6.  RE: Organizational Structure

Posted 29 days ago

I'm the volunteer president of the Board of a small NPO Cat Rescue but have 45 years of experience working with non-profit board and organizations.  In my experience the less complex you can make your organization the better.  Take the time to develop position descriptions not only for the staff but the board and committees as well.  Everyone needs to know what their responsibilities are and how they "fit in" to the organization.  Secondly, if you do not have policies and procedures in place for your main activities, you need to create those, or fill in where you're lacking them.  It is critical that everyone is "on the same page" when it comes to how you operate.  Lastly, I am a proponent of smaller boards.  Depending on the size of your operation, I feel 9-13 board members is an ideal number (I worked with boards of 25-35 and that is too many!). When recruiting board members have a one-page sheet that outlines your expectations of a board member (attendance, donating, serving on a committee or two etc). Look for various skill sets you may need (attorney, social media, grant-writing, event planning etc).   Most of all look for board and staff who are truly PASSIONATE about what you do!!!!  Best of Success!

Bruce Thorsen
    President, Board of Directors
    Purrfect Match Cat Rescue
    Millington TN