We Foster Challenge

View Only
  • 1.  Trello for 100% Foster Organization?

Posted 04-18-2022 09:50 AM
    We are a 100% foster-based senior only dog rescue organization. We are trying to find ways to share dogs in need, in anticipation of finding existing or new foster homes. Unlike the information in the first huddle- the dogs they posted were already in their shelter system, we are most generally in need of foster for dogs that are not in our care yet. 

Does anyone use Trello or something like that to post dogs in need that currently are not in their care? 40% of our dogs come to us from the local community, 60% from shelter systems. Sometimes we post a dog in need on Facebook, but not everyone, including some of our existing fosters, uses FB, and posts aren't shared to all of our 26K followers. In addition, we were hacked last year and lost our FB page for over 5 months. We are trying to find non-FB ways to inspire new people to foster or to encourage existing fosters to repeat foster. For the later, we text them often, but a more group or central location with dogs in need would be easier to manage.

Can something like Trello be shared onto our website so it would be active and current information for dogs in need? I can definitely see that information, if presented properly, could inspire new people to join our foster village.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    Denise
    Senior Hearts Rescue & Renewal

------------------------------
    Denise Pavitt
    Senior Hearts Rescue & Renewal

• 2.  RE: Trello for 100% Foster Organization?

Posted 04-19-2022 10:22 AM
    I am also very interested to know whether or not I can share a Trello board to our website if I decide to create one. I would love an easy way to show existing and potential fosters what cats we have in need of fostering without having to spend so much time texting/emailing individuals about who is in need. 

Thanks in advance!

Brittany Donecho
    HART

• 3.  RE: Trello for 100% Foster Organization?

Posted 04-19-2022 02:19 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Denise, 

This is such a great question! The computer nerd in me needed to do my own exploring to see how this would work and it can definitely be done. 👩🏻‍💻I recorded a video to show the steps you would take in order to do this: https://www.loom.com/share/99691fadc09c4a018c13a11dae150399

You will basically use what's called an iframe to embed the Trello board on your site which can be done using a little bit of HTML (if you're not very tech saavy, I promise it's easier than it sounds!) 

First you need to make sure that your Trello board is set to Public:

If you want to embed your entire Trello board, click on the "Show Menu" option on the top right corner:

Copy the "Link to this board" URL. It may be tempting to use the URL that's in your browser's address bar but be sure to use this specific URL:

Then on your website, you'll insert an HTML block with the following code:
    <iframe width="1200" height="800" src="LINKTOTHISBOARDURL.html" frameborder="0"></iframe>​
    Paste the URL you copied from Trello into the highlighted part that says "LINKTOTHISBOARDURL". Make sure that ".html" comes right after the URL you pasted. In my example, here's the exact code I entered on my site:
    <iframe width="1200" height="800" src="https://trello.com/b/yhMcHJK0.html" frameborder="0"></iframe>​

Then voila! The board should appear within an iFrame on your designated page! You may need to adjust the width and the height dimensions to make it easier to read. Visitors will be able to see each of the cards and if they click on the card, it'll take them to the card on Trello in a new window.

Ex:

If you are looking to embed individual cards, you'll follow the same process but instead of the "Link to this board" URL, you can open the card you want to embed and click "Share":

You'll then see a "Link to this card" URL that you can copy and paste into the iFrame code I gave above:

<iframe width="600" height="600" src="https://trello.com/c/JZTFAKmI.html" frameborder="0"></iframe>​

Again, you'll probably need to adjust the width and height to see what works for your site. For cards I started with 600x600 dimensions. Ex:

Another cool feature with Trello is you can generate a QR code to link to individual cards or the entire Trello board! You could download the image and use it on your website, at the front desk, include it in a presentation to your fosters and anywhere else you want people to easily access your Trello board or cards.

If your site is on WordPress, there are some plugins you can use to speed up the process: https://quadlayers.com/embed-trello-boards-in-wordpress/
    (Disclaimer: I don't have a WordPress site so I wasn't able to test the steps in the article to see if it actually works!) 

You can also easily create a copy of an existing Foster Trello Board by clicking on "Show Menu" again in the top right and selecting "Copy Board" so you don't have to start from scratch:

There are so many great use cases for embedding your Trello board on your organization's website so I hope this helps give you a place to start!

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 4.  RE: Trello for 100% Foster Organization?

Posted 04-20-2022 08:01 PM
    Very interested in hearing what others have to say on this. 
    We use Trello for our animals needing fostercare and I know some other organizations use Trello for animals they are needing help with but not yet in their care, such as transports that are waiting to arrive or owner surrenders that are going to be coming in.
    Our shelter has a Help Team where we help owners exhaust all resources to either keep, afford, train or rehome their pets. If they have no other option and we agree to take them, we schedule them an intake exam. If the owners are able to send us photos of the animals, I will add them to our Trello board with the proper notations that they are not yet in our system/shelter currently but will be arriving on "date". I would love to do this with all owner surrenders however, sometimes getting that photo from them is not always easy. I can still add them on the Trello without a picture of course, but having that is always helpful with grabbing a fosters attention.

Aly Martinez
    Head of Fosters
    Pensacola Humane Society
    Pensacola, FL
    ALY@pensacolahumane.org

• 5.  RE: Trello for 100% Foster Organization?

Posted 04-26-2022 05:21 AM
    thank you so, so much for this topic. We struggle with info sharing with all of our fosters as well.  So many folx are not on Facebook to utilize the group. 

I did see that they offer a 75% off discount for nonprofits so that is helpful.

kerryann may