Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Cat Room Furniture?

• 1.  Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-03-2021 05:05 PM
    I would love to find resources for building shelter-standard cat furniture, connect with other handy people, talk about materials, tools techniques, and share photos.
    #Behavior,TrainingandEnrichment

------------------------------
    marion wagner

• 2.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-04-2021 08:26 AM
    I am interested Marion!  
    Christine O

christine orbeck
    Fearless Kitty Rescue

• 3.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-09-2021 09:10 AM
    Has anyone here tried building a wall-climber like this? : https://catswithoutjobs.com/ We have a ledge over the door to our lobby that cats love to get up onto via an elaborate series of jumps from cage-tops and shelves, but sometimes they have more trouble navigating back down. I've contemplated whether something like this would make the situation better or worse.

My biggest concern with most cat-furniture is that it isn't easily able to be thoroughly disinfected. Carpet-fabric and wood are not the most easily cleaned materials, and it's always frustrating to have to find an appropriate way to clean a cat tree if a cat in the area develops URI or has a fecal parasite. What strategies have other folks used for keeping furniture from becoming a fomite?

Emme Hones

• 4.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-09-2021 10:58 PM
    I haven't seen these before but now I want one!  =^..^=

Julie Levy

• 5.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-15-2021 10:45 AM
    Emme, that is pretty cool, and if one has the cover material, probably easily replaced as needed. It is probably just a straight board with the sisal mat stapled around. The column might be more of a concern from a hygiene standpoint.

MW Cats

• 6.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-10-2021 12:54 PM
    Check out Darryl Michaelson 

Jennifer Evans
    CARE

• 7.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-15-2021 10:42 AM
    That is all carpet covered, which is exactly what I am NOT going to do! For our old shelter I built some nice looking cat furniture out of painted plywood. Maybe someone has tips on best (durable and non-toxic) paints. I wondered if there are better suited materials, like laminated plywood, and commercial PVC edge banding combined with washable cushions? And scratchers that can be easily replaced? Stuff like that is what makes shelter furniture different from pet store items. And expensive. But I am handy and willing to learn more.

MW Cats

• 8.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-16-2021 05:44 AM
    Hi Marion, 

Have you heard of Crijo? They produce furniture for cats made specifically for animal shelters. They are a large investment but they are built to last 20-30 years+. Our donors love giving money for these!

https://www.crijopets.com

Karen Reese

• 9.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-17-2021 08:41 AM
      |   view attached
    I saw this picture in a group a while back and saved it but I'm not sure what shelter it's at.  I liked that the frame was pvc so it would be easy to clean and that the slings are machine washable and look like they just slide on and off.  Plus it looks like it'd be a pretty simple and cheap project.

Michelle Reardon

• 10.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-17-2021 06:35 PM
    Wonderful idea!

MW Cats

• 11.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 05-27-2021 01:31 PM
    Have you seen this site? May be some ideas for things to put on your wish list or handy staff/volunteers could recreate for shelter use. 

https://www.hauspanther.com/

Shari Cahill
    silvercometawa.org

• 12.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 01-10-2023 09:22 AM
    This seems like a much more affordable option! And looks simple to build and install. This would be a great project for scouts and/or volunteers to complete.

Jill Gilbert
    Shelter or rescue staff
    Lee County Humane Society

• 13.  RE: Cat Room Furniture?

Posted 01-10-2023 06:20 AM
    Have you looked at the website that sells Feline Snoozers? This is cat furniture made specifically for shelters. All PVC pipe and removable, washable pans except for the scratching posts that are also replaceable.  https://felinesnoozers.com/products/   I'm sure these could be easily made by someone more talented than me.

barb roach