Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

• 1.  Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-02-2023 09:55 AM
    Updated 2/6/23 at 4:03pm - Recording is now available to watch on-demand! 
    Please note: Not all views expressed on Community Conversations are endorsed by Maddie’s Fund.

We hope to see you 
    on Monday, February 6th, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call. 

We will be joined by @Sheila Kouhkan, Chief Engagement Officer for Companions and Animals for Reform and Equity (CARE). She will discuss how being a Disruptor is conducive to creating more inclusive, lifesaving programs. Together, we will examine the positive impact of important Disruptors throughout history and the related social changes that influence our lives today. We will apply a Disruptor approach to Animal Welfare by reviewing practical steps for assessing current programs and identifying opportunities for programmatic changes to support keeping companion pets with their families and finding loving homes for more adoptable pets. We'll reimagine how animal "well-being" versus "welfare" could be a positive disruption for the future.

Maddie's Fund will also announce the community conversation grant winners for January so be sure to tune in to see if you've won up to $10,000!

Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: https://maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration

If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like. After you watch the recording or attend the call, be sure to complete this new February entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-feb23-giveaway.htm
    #Conferences,WorkshopsandWebcasts
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-06-2023 12:37 PM
    Hello and thank you to everyone who was able join me for today's Community Conversation!

As promised, here are a few links to go along with the presentation: 

Please reach out to me with any thoughts/ideas/questions anytime! 

Don't forget to Disrupt today!
    Sheila

Sheila Kouhkan
    Chief Engagement Officer
    CARE- Companions and Animals for Reform and Equity

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-07-2023 08:08 AM
    Thank you, Sheila, for bringing your wisdom, strength and hope to the call. I left the call inspired and ready to Disrupt!

Allison Cardona
    UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-11-2023 12:24 PM

Thank you so much for having me, Allison! Looking forward to Disrupting with you!

Sheila Kouhkan
    Chief Engagement Officer

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-09-2023 07:40 AM

Thank you, Sheila, for sharing this important perspective! As a grant professional, I engage prospective funders with a positive changemaker approach that definitely disrupts the failed and often systemic status quo we see here in South Carolina. I applaud you and have shared this resource with leadership. 

Lisa Pearce
    Charleston Animal Society
    North Charleston SC
    843-329-0769

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-11-2023 12:20 PM

Thank you so much, Lisa! I appreciate your support as a fellow Changemaker! Please keep me posted and feel free to reach out any time at Sheila@careawo.org

Sheila Kouhkan
    Chief Engagement Officer

• 7.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-10-2023 08:29 AM

Can you tell me how to find the entry form for the grants for watching the calls. I attended on monday however I did not see anything and I cannot locate it on the site.  

robyn feaganes
    Founder
    CH Lives Matter Rescue, Inc

• 8.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-10-2023 08:38 AM

Hi @robyn feaganes

Here's the link for the grant giveaway entry form for February: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-feb23-giveaway.htm

You can complete an entry for each Community Conversations call you watch this month, whether you watch live or on-demand. Best of luck! 

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 9.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-06-2023 04:01 PM

Hi!

I just joined this Forum (today) and saw that this conversation happened today. Any chance that anyone has a recording of it? 

Ashley 
    unfurget@gmail.com

Ashley Davis
    Founder, Director
    Furget Me Not

• 10.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-07-2023 08:09 AM
    Hi Ashley! Welcome. You can find the link to the recording when you scroll up or here https://youtu.be/q52XlrCDyEM

Allison Cardona
    UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program

• 11.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-06-2023 04:52 PM
      |   view attached
    Thanks to the 370+ people who attended our Community Conversations call today. The recording is now available to watch on-demand. You can find a recap of the call below and the presentation slides are attached. You can also access Sheila's presentation here on Canva to view more of the interactive elements complete with video, confetti and mic drops. 🎉

Here's the link to the February Weekly Community Conversations giveaway entry form: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-feb23-giveaway.htm
    Be sure to enter each week you attend or watch the recordings for your chance to win a grant up to $10,000.

Agenda
    • Welcome from hosts
    • Question of the Day: What is something you have learned in the past month?
      • "How to count rank choice votes" - Nancy Cullins
      • "I'm learning about creating appropriate audiences for our new marketing campaign" - Laramie
      • "I am now ethics board certified in the conduct of research involving human participants here in Canada..." - Kathy Duncan
      • "I learned how to calculate the PBC ratio (Population Balance Calculation) and now we're using it in discussions with staff!" - Leslie Dalzell
      • "How to take care of a tripod dog and how to encourage them to be as "normal" as possible and be happy. My greyhound girl shattered a rear leg that couldn't be fixed." - Mary Flores
      • "I learned what to do for rats who suffer from sinus infections." - Amy Charles
    • Community Conversations January Grant Winners
      • Congratulations to our January 2023 Community Conversation Winners ($2,500 each)
        • Kyle O'Neill AniMeals (Missoula, MT)
        • @Cecilia Oliveros (she/her)  Animal Friends (Pittsburgh, PA)
        • Vickie Ramirez One Health Clinic Seattle (Seattle, WA)
        • Jenna Riedi Animal Friends Alliance (Fort Collins, CO)
      • Congratulations to our January 2023 Maddie's Pet Forum Winner ($3,000)
        • @Linda Lea Big Bones Canine Rescue (Windsor, CO)

National Updates

Presentation: The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Highlights From The Chat
    • "Excellent introduction, Sheila! There is nothing wrong with disrupting a failed status quo. Changing course is good if the current situation harms animals and people. On so many community levels disruption is for the greater good..." - Lisa Pearce
    • "Interesting change of words. For over 25 years, I always called myself an advocate. Now I need to pivot to "disruptor" (which makes sense, since I'm always disrupting the family
      Thanksgiving meals...lol)" - Veronica Frescas
    • "Disruptors = Change Agents" - Anne George
    • "We do have to be careful to make sure what we think we see and feel is actually what's happening. Sometimes it's not. Which is why quantitative data is so helpful!" - M S
    • "Caroline Earle White and 30 compassionate and visionary women founded Women's Humane Society, America's First Animal Shelter tm, in Philadelphia in 1869. They were disruptors -- motivated by the ill treatment of carriage horses and homeless animals they witnessed. Nearly 154 years later, Women's Animal Center (as WHS is today known) continues to work to ensure that animals are treated humanely and with kindness." - Claire Walton
    • "Believe it or not, TikTok is an amazing platform for showing animal lover representation." - Renee Windsor-White
    • "Our community has a lot of Students. We are working on our questions and having conversations with them about the commitment and barriers they may face rather than
      succumbing to the temptation to outright deny." - Jasmine Padilla
      • "Jasmine . . . college communities do not have higher abandonment/intake rates compared to non-college communities and there are not spikes at the end of semesters. Our town of 250,000 has >70,000 college students and we think of them as a huge resource for fostering, volunteering, and adopting. They are altruistic, energetic, tech savvy, and creative. A lot of us on the call probably had pets all through college, even if we weren't supposed to. Would love to chat more if you like." - Julie Levy
    • "Great point. Communities facing barriers to caring for their family pet (s) are "given" services that they do not need. Listen first, do less, be a consistent presence so you may become trusted." - Lisa Pearce
    • "Beautiful, powerful video! Cheers to the power of witnessing which is crucial!" - Alina Luna
    • "Unbelievable presentation. Thank you so so much. Had a talk earlier that totally discouraged me, but now I know I am/our rescue is doing the right thing!" - Amy Charles
    • "I love the message of giving yourself grace and being authentic! This presentation was wonderful!" - Jena Wiley
    • "The movie Glass Onion was about disrupters. The quote was, 'Little things add up to big things. Let's change the world.'" - Alicia Mason
    • "I work w/ the Street Cats Club...we work in a rural, midwestern town. We are often seen as disrupters for being LGBTQ+ friendly, supporting preg spays (we are a TNR group), being anti-declaw, etc. We have grown so fast, so quickly, and I think a lot of it has to do with being a disrupter." - Victoria Patridge
    • "This is the way of thinking that made me form Pals for Paws of GA, to provide community outreach in an area of South GA that is SO stuck in the "we've always done it this way". I would like to pass on that if you are a volunteer that wants to be a positive disruptor, Section 1983 protects you from backlash." - Michelle Robert
    • "I would love to connect with other disrupters who lead with choice, community, and love!" - Sara Muriello
    • "I love the positivity of "disrupters". It's our goal for 2023 and to lead with passion but also with grace. Thank you!" - Renee Huddleston

​​

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 12.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-07-2023 12:35 PM
    This was a great session and something our industry really needs... MORE DISRUPTORS!

Ashley Milo
    Chula Vista Animal Care Facility

• 13.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-11-2023 12:23 PM

Thank you so much, Ashley! Looking forward to disrupting with you! Please keep in touch at Sheila@careawo.org

Sheila Kouhkan
    Chief Engagement Officer

• 14.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-12-2023 08:08 AM

Thank you for providing recordings of these calls, very helpful when your work day does not go as planned.  Each call I have attended or watched has been very informative, thank you again!

Jenna Ricci
    Volunteer
    Rocky Mountain Feline Rescue

• 15.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-14-2023 01:40 AM

Thank you Sheila for the encouragement to be a disruptor. I can say for myself, that your presentation struck a chord with me. Not going along with the status quo can sometimes be a lonely journey until someone sees your vision,and acknowledges that their maybe another way of getting things done.

Michelle Robinson
    Cause 4Paws Gary,INC

• 16.  RE: Community Conversations - 2/6/23 - The Future of Animal Welfare: Positive Disruption Will Save More Lives

Posted 02-15-2023 07:47 AM

Thank you for sharing, Michelle! Please know that you are not alone. I would love to stay in touch- please feel free to reach out any time at Sheila@careawo.org

Sheila Kouhkan
    Chief Engagement Officer