Thanks to the 311 attendees who joined us on today's call. The recording is now available to watch on-demand. Below you'll find a recap of the agenda, resources and highlights from the chat.
- Welcome from Hosts:
- Clare Callison, Director of National Operations, Austin/American Pets Alive
- Ariel Zhang, Vice President of National Programs, Humane Rescue Alliance
- Mary's Motivation: Please join us on next week's call with lauren Ornelas, Founder and Senior Programs Director at Food Empowerment Project https://foodispower.org/. She will discuss how systemic racism intersects within our food system and outline its ties to food access and treatment of farm workers. Learn how some animal advocacy efforts may contribute to the problem.
Presentation: Leading Staff & Volunteers Through Change to Embrace Barrier Free Practices
- Speaker: Jasmine O'Keefe, Animal Services Manager for League City Animal Care in League City, TX.
- Resource: The Shelter Employee Engagement & Development Survey (SeeDS) https://seeds.charlotte.edu/ It's not free, but it is powerful.
Highlights From the Chat:
- "Thank you for everyone who donated to Underground dog, the west TX shelter in Presidio! They received enough donations to share with partner shelters also in rural west TX-- thank you to this community!" - Clare Callison
- "This is the most understanding group of people, so no worries, you've got this!" - Kim White
- "I'm from league city! So good to have league city represented today; thank you for sharing your expertise with us!" - Mehnaz Aziz
- "oh love the role playing! we can be hypocritical and require more from our adopters than we ourselves do" - Amanda Gray
- "Stand up/sit down is so powerful! Katherine Shenar facilitated that with my new hire group when I started in the industry. Nobody is 'perfect'" - Suzy Clayton
- "Not that it's about the money, but it's always less expensive to keep an animal in their home than in a shelter/rescue group" - Rachel Watsky
- "Great work Jasmine!! It's not easy making change, but you did it!!!" - Nichole Boudreau
- "Great work, Jasmine! This is really an organizational culture change win!" - Karen Green
- "Jasmine's authenticity makes her a GREAT leader!" - Mara Hartsell
- "I love the fact that you had a plan and kept working towards that! Sometimes it seems easier to give in to the way things have always been done" - Kim White
- "Learning to be a leader is huge. It's incredible to go to those lengths, not only for your organization, but for personal growth." - Amy Charles
- "This is like 10 leadership books put into a 30 min presentation. #leadershipgoals thank you!!" - Bobby Mann
- "I love the build community approach to leadership." - Augusta Farley
Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
Sent: 03-16-2023 10:55 AM
From: Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
Subject: Community Conversations - 3/20/23 - Leading Staff & Volunteers Through Change to Embrace Barrier Free Practices
Updated 3/20/23 at 5:34pm -- Recording is now available to watch on-demand!
We hope to see you on Monday, March 20, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call!
Our guest speaker will be @Jasmine Okeefe, Animal Services Manager for League City Animal Care in League City, TX. Jasmine will share valuable insight from lessons learned from over 10 years working her way up in the field. Jasmine has successfully led numerous staff, fosters, and volunteers through a significant shift to embrace a more welcoming approach- and will share valuable lessons learned along the way. She will share how she has shifted the organizational culture to be more inclusive and open, both internally and in the community. She will also share practical tips to breaking down barriers that can be implemented immediately, no matter your role or level in your organization.
Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration
If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like. After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this new March entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-mar23-giveaway.htm
Maddie's Pet Forum Admin