Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

• 1.  Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 03-21-2024 11:48 AM

Updated 3/25/24 at 4:06pm: Recording now available to watch on-demand!

We hope to see you on the next Community Conversations call on Monday, 3/25/24 at 11am PT for a presentation on: Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing.

Featuring Michelson Found Animal Foundation, including experts in Pet-Inclusive Housing, this conversation will provide animal well-being organizations with current information and reasoned arguments that help pet owners gain greater access to rental housing. Factors to consider when making decisions regarding pets and how to successfully navigate these challenges include sharing of data to help address the concerns of rental housing operators and introduction of new resources developed by the Michelson team.

Guest Speakers: @Ross Barker, Program Director, Pet-Inclusive Housing, Michelson Found Animals Foundation and Judy Bellack, Industry Principal, Pet-Inclusive Housing

Learn more about the Pet-Inclusive Housing initiative at Michelson Found Animals - https://www.petsandhousing.org/about-pihi/

Register here for our Weekly Community Conversations Call taking place on Monday at 11am PT:  maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration. 

If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like.  After you watch the recording on-demand or attend the call live, be sure to complete this March 2024 entry form to enter to win up to a $5,000 grant:  https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-mar24-giveaway.htm 

#DataandTechnology
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 03-25-2024 12:06 PM

This was very informative. Thank you for the info. I had posed a late question during the conversation:

Is there any data on if a shelter dog passed a CGC test, has it allowed them into a rental unit in more cases than those who didn't earn that credential?

Claudia

YOUR Humane Society SPCA

Claudia Labbé
    Fundraising/PR Chairperson
    YOUR Humane Society SPCA
    FL

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 03-25-2024 12:45 PM

Hi, Claudia! We've had a couple of properties tell us that they use the CGC test as a vetting method for allowing dogs, but it is definitely not in wide use across the multifamily industry. It is a great idea, however, especially when someone is trying to rent with a smaller owner; this could help persuade them to allow their pet.

Judy Bellack
    Industry Principal
    Michelson Found Animals Foundation
    FL

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 03-25-2024 04:58 PM

Thank you to the 199+ people and pets who joined us on today's Community Conversations call! The recording is now available to watch on-demand. Below you'll find a recap of the call and resources shared. Please note that there will not be a call next week for Spring Break. We will see you again on April 8th! 

Call Recap

• Welcome from Hosts
    • Question of the day: If you could transform your home into any animals' natural habitat for a day AND live alongside them, which animal's abode would you pick and why?
      • "The forest with Chimpanzees or Orangutans" - Kate Sawyer
      • "I would pick a domestic cat because I hate camping." - June Thomas
      • "A dolphin, but the water needs to be at least 80 degrees!" - Kristi Brooks
      • "Oppossums" - sandy parker
      • "I want a tree house and would house koalas! I guess it would be a eucalyptus tree house?" - Irene
      • "I think I already live in a dust bunny habitat!  😝" - Kirsten VantWoud
      • "Leopard Cat" - Steve Marrero
      • "Dolphin" - Jan Steele
      • "Yes I have squirrels 🐿️, possums and raccoons. Because I am helping keeper of the Wild" - Myriam Martinez
      • "Whales or donkeys!" - Sarah Messer
      • "Wild horses!" - Mary Flores
      • "dolphins" - Athena Yannitsas
      • "A horse" - Deanna Nash
      • "My daughter got to experience a manatee in the wild. She burst into awed tears." - Donna Miller
      • "a farm of farm animals. all of them" - Kim Jackson
      • "I have them now!  I foster for the shelter and my already 20 cats/kittens have gone to 30-40 during kitten season.  Everyone is wonderful together with lots of love." - Peg Lucky
      • "Eagle's nest" - Linda Rubin
        • "I agree with Eagles! We went to a falconry and got to have one land on our arm.  I didn't realize they weigh only a couple of pounds!!" - Jenifer Bechtol
      • "Elephants!" - Suny Simon
      • "Baya Weavers create beautiful, forested hammocks and it looks so comfy <3 Plus they intuitively build secret false doors to protect from predators!" - Darla Chance
      • "Pigs and cow" - Aline Silva
      • "Secondly: I feel I have already done that!  We (my husband and I) have five dogs, one rabbit and one flying impaired goose.  We live in the country and have a pond and lots of trees!  Actually, it's the dogs house.  I am just the housekeeper!" - Debra DeVries
      • "Pallas's cats just to spend some time with them." - LeAnne Christoffel
      • "Sloth 😴" - Anna Jaeger
      • "Hermit crabs - we have a 60-gallon tank for ours but I wish they had the full beach they deserve (they are all wild caught so they were all taken from there). Also, sandy and warm!" - Jesse Oldham
        • "We have crabbies too!" - Candice Hinkle
      • "Also, one day I help a friend with a little 🦇 bat baby" - Myriam Martinez
      • "Panda Bears" - Virginia Brantley
      • "farm animals. I love being around horses, cows, and all the farm animals. we have dogs and cats right now. I've had squirrels and ducks inside before." - Kim Jackson

• National Updates
    • Presentation: Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing - Weekly Community Conversations 3/25/24
    • Highlights from the Chat
      • "We are low-cost mobile spay/neuter for low-income citizens in five CA counties.  Is there a space for s/n orgs with Maddie's Fund" - Monica Gummig
        • "Thanks for your question, Monica! Spay and neuter are not a focus area of Maddie's Fund. However, we understand they fall under Access to Care and potentially other programs we promote. Please free to email us at grants@maddiesfund.org." - Irene
      • "Pawster Nashville here, supporting people in crisis by providing temporary care for their pets. One of our big projects is helping increase pet-inclusive housing in Nashville!" - Gabe Horton
      • "Hello all, I'm a foster in Corpus Christi, TX. We recently adopted out a wonderful dog, he looks like a boxer/Great Dane mix. His adopters did a DNA test, and he came back Pit Bull/Staffy with a little Boxer. Adopters love him but they made a comment to me that they will continue to list him as a Boxer because otherwise they would be turned down for an apartment if they list him as pit. That made me sad because he's a doll." - Patricia Gonzalez
      • "And hopefully no requirement for cats to be declawed!" - Amanda Huggett
        • "Yes. Last I checked that's still a requirement in some government and city assisted housing." - Penny Leisch
        • "At least in NY it is illegal to declaw a cat." - Gwen Harding-Peets
      • "Emotional Support Animals don't have the same access protections/guarantees as Service Animals." - Kathryn McCloud
        • "They do in the context of housing." - Lauren Rogers
      • "I've personally have had to stretch the truth of my dog's breeds to be able to find housing. I have a Bulldog/Labrador mix and I just enter Labrador mix for everything." - Yvonne Feliciano
        • "Same! My pit/boxer mix was just listed as 'boxer mix' to appease landlords." - Amanda Huggett
      • "A rental owner I know said he's had more damage from kids than he ever had from pets." - Penny Leisch
        • "Many will admit that but still have restrictions or prohibitions in place just because of their uncertainty with animals." - Lawrence Minnis
      • "Unfortunately, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders for Active-Duty Military will frequently include breed/number restrictions." - Debra DeVries
        • "Military posts have a huge problem with pet abandonments on posts. I temporarily housed a large dog that was swimming in the lake on Fort Meade because he was left behind." - Lawrence Minnis
        • "So many cats and dogs are dumped because they can't find a place to rehome them. Plus, most are NOT fixed." - Anita Selby
        • "Yes.  This is what we run into in our county.  There are no room at shelters, and even we're at capacity." - Jenifer Bechtol
      • "More companies should allow bring your pet to work!!!" - Brandi Priest
      • "We get our fair share of people who give their dogs up because they can't find housing that takes their dog." - Karina Reyes
      • "Even before I worked in rescue, I had to turn down a dog my vet wanted me to take because my husband's job required travel and corporate moves and there are so many breed-restricted areas. We couldn't do it because we didn't get to choose where we went or stayed." - Penny Leisch
      • "When you look at the numbers, it reframes our challenges and perhaps where our collective unified focus should be. We don't necessarily have overpopulation challenges when you look at this data. We have an affordable, pet inclusive/friendly housing problem. A point we should collaborate on in regions to try and push for change." - Alexis Pagoulatos
      • "Yes, insurance is an issue for homeowners. I get asked every time I shop insurance. I just shopped it this year." - Penny Leisch
      • "in my area, people are quick to give up their pets when they move without looking for pet friendly places. I recently had one ask me to help rehome a dog because of boarding availability." - Kim Jackson
      • "I was under the impression State Farm is the only large insurance provider who does not have breed restrictions. Are there others?" - Brandy Shimabukuro
      • "I've found that renters don't know their tenant rights and NYC law regarding if/how much a landlord can charge them or require as additional security.  And landlords take advantage of this ignorance." - Julia Pastore
      • "Yes Lawrence, you are right!  I adopted my first three kittens in Nellingen, FRG.  The soldier abandoned the mother cat.  I adopted the kittens - was not able to catch the mother - and flew them back to the US when it was time for me to PCS.  Based on the air fare, I think the cats flew First Class!!" - Debra DeVries
      • "Is the insurance company issue with property destruction or possible dog bites?" - Kate Marshall
        • "In my experience, I'm told that breed restrictions result from trends the companies see in dog bites." - Irene
      • "New Colorado legislation prohibits insurers from having breed restrictions." - Judy Bellack
      • "Dog bites/aggressiveness. My experience is Breed Discrimination.  Heaven help the Pittie or Pittie-mix!" - Debra DeVries
        • "Doesn't need to be a pittie or pittie-mix in some cases. Just perceived as one." - Lawrence Minnis
      • "In my area, people need to have a letter from their doctor for an Emotional Support Animal for housing. It is bad here." - Kim Jackson
      • "pit mixes are low on the list for the most aggressive breeds. The small breeds are in the top 5." - Kim Jackson
      • "Please address the damage that pets can cause to rental property such as chewed woodwork & carpet by a dog  and urine throughout an apartment from a cat.  Expenses can be thousands to repair and there is the loss of rent while renovating." - Margaret Tompkins
        • "Good point, Margaret Tompkins!  I've been on both sides of this.  The damage can be real and financially awful." - April King
          • "It should definitely be considered. There are warranted situations, but the consideration is usually focused on the animal-related situations. I rented my home and allowed pets. I had over $16k in repair costs but that was renter-related (their care of the home). So, there's risk across the board." - Lawrence Minnis
        • "@April King @Margaret Tompkins Thanks for bringing this up! Judy will address it now in this slide." - Sara Maria Muriello
        • "Hard floors are more common now, which helps that problem. However, a rental owner I know says he has more damage from kids than pets. Good applications can help too." - Penny Leisch
        • "I feel like this argument doesn't feel persuasive...they can limit pets but they cannot limit children so they are going to limit what they can regardless for fear of damages. I think % of pets re damages, avg number of damages and also perhaps best options for incurring less damages or ways to repair (like Killz paint, etc.)" - Jesse Oldham
        • "Unfortunately for pets, they are not a protected category, while families are. Also, they can limit the number of people in a unit." - Judy Bellack
      • "This brings to mind an adopter who had a sweet bully-type mutt for years and his wife showed pics on her FB profile. Their new home insurance company looked at that profile with the dog pics and they lost their home insurance coverage that day as she was considered one on their "no-no" list of breeds. Thankfully they never gave up their dog and we helped them find a new insurer." - Claudia Labbe
      • "Definitely see a lot of reinforcement re damages in smaller landlord FB groups I'm in. Highlighting those situations makes it seem much more common." - Jesse Oldham
      • "We had a free adoption event at a huge apartment complex, and they waived pet deposits!!!! I want to do it again and again in my new city." - Kelly Miott
      • "I give public webinars on cat behavior, if interested in attending see Catbehaviorhelp.com/services" - Stephen Quandt
      • "In California property management companies are now requiring vaccination records.  I take my pets to holistic doctors so I don't vaccinate unless it's absolutely necessary which makes it even more difficult to find homes. It's so sad." - Yvette Prado
        • "But maybe showing they are still receiving vet care is transparency. Show titers for Rabies immunity too." - Claudia Labbe
      • "All dogs are individuals. <3" - Heidi Schmitt
      • "I love that this will be added to the work of the Social Worker that we are bringing on at WAGS Pet Adoption because of Cal for All Animals grant. So exciting to hear this webinar and get resources." - Michelle Russillo
      • "There are dog trainers that could help with this situation. I am a dog trainer who has helped numerous people keep their pets in public housing. We now have a rescue and have been trying to help more through the non-profit." - Kim Jackson
      • "If a lease says no pets, does that include ESA dogs? If it is not specified, couldn't it make a case to allow the ESA?" - Stephen Knight - Dogs Matter
        • "It's my understanding that ESAs fall outside of the pet restriction and pet rent would not be required, either. But there is also great information provided by HEART LA." - Irene
      • "This has been so helpful.  Thank you so much!" - Beth Porter
      • "I really appreciate the work you're doing in this area. Thank you, Michelson Found Animals!" - Sheila Segurson
      • "Thank you very much!  So glad there is some organized work on this subject/problem." - April King
      • "Very helpful info! Many thanks especially as our County in FL is in a housing boom!" - Claudia Labbe
      • "Love that there is an organization that addresses these issues in rental housing. Wonderful information and a great resource." - Marge Hall
      • "My guess is that damage and uncontrolled/scary dog issues just need support.  It would be great if RHO would let people know about community resources for solving problem behaviors.  An exuberant, friendly large dog bouncing on the end of a leash can be scary to a small child, elderly person, someone afraid of dogs..." - April King
      • "As a dog trainer, I was often called in to handle behavior problems of dogs in multi-family dwellings- barking, dog aggression. Most were resolvable." - Anne George
      • "Thank you! Such a wealth of knowledge." - Michelle Schutz

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 03-25-2024 07:06 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks your participation today.  Please reach out to us if we can support your pet-inclusive housing efforts in anyway.

Attached here are our slides from  today,  as well as our Renters Insurance resource showing several insurance companies that offer renters policies with no dog breed restrictions.

Ross

Ross Barker
    Program Director, Pet-Inclusive Housing
    Michelson Found Animals
    OR

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 29 days ago

Unanswered question from the chat:

"Are legislative measures being considered with tools we can use to each of our respective states?"

Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 7.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

PIHI believes the legislative efforts are an important part of creating more pet-inclusive housing, but currently, our efforts are focused on partnering and collaborating with rental housing owners, operators, developers, and decision-makers because we believe the most effective, sustainable changes are likely to be ones that come from within the rental housing industry itself. However, there is much legislation being enacted and considered at both the state and federal levels. When these efforts offer mutual benefits to pet owners and housing operators, we do offer data and insight in support of the work. Additionally, Michelson Center for Public Policy is keeping a close eye on these legislative efforts. If you aren't able to find information about legislative activities in your area, please reach out to us and we will find a resource to connect you with.

Sara Maria Muriello

Senior Program Manager, Pet-Inclusive Housing Initiative

Michelson Found Animals------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 29 days ago

"Do you have information on large rental agencies in cities vs rural areas?"

Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 9.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

We do have access to pet policy data from multifamily rental housing (properties with 5 units or more) across the country, and we can narrow our searches by state, market, submarkets to look at trends between large rental agencies in urban, suburban, and rural areas.

Sara Maria Muriello
    Michelson Found Animals

• 10.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 29 days ago

"What do you think is a better position to get movement? Pushing for the business angle surrounding money (which includes pet fees) or skipping that and trying to go for no pet fees as access/nondiscrimination issue?" 

Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 11.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

As an almost 50+ year rescuer and dog trainer, if people don't pay something they don't value it as much. I'm looking at you, "that-puppy-didn't-wok-out-so-we-need-a-new-one" and "We're-moving/being deployed-and-can't-take-the-dog" people. 🤬 The frequent flyers. The ones who "can't afford vaccination/spay/neuter/training costs" but "just love dogs/cats/horses/etc."  There is access, and there is setting people and dogs up for failure and an ultimate return to shelter/rescue due to neglect/abuse/lack of training.

Lou Meyers
    Trainer/Foster Home
    Dog Training & Behaviour
    NE

• 12.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

This is such a relevant question! It may be very difficult to position skipping fees altogether, as most rental housing operators will seek to be extremely proactive in mitigating the potential for what they perceive as costly damages, as well as recoup investments in pet amenities like waste stations or an on-site dog park. We recommend you do two things: 1) advocate for reasonable pet fees that may be justified to cover those costs rather than as a revenue stream, and 2) point out the bottom-line advantages of having pet residents who stay longer (which means lower turnover costs and vacancy loss). Higher retention is a big deal in the industry, and our research shows that pet owners stay an average of 21% longer. 

Sara Maria Muriello

Michelson Found Animals

• 13.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 29 days ago

"Is there any guidance for landlords re pet friendly builds (flooring that is hard to damage, various ways to mitigate urine smell/damage, etc.) to help limit the damage incurred?"

Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 14.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

This is a fantastic question, and we realize this is a resource we should create for rental housing owners, operators, and developers. Please stay tuned!

Sara Maria Muriello

Michelson Found Animals

• 15.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 29 days ago

"If a lease says no pets, does that include ESA dogs? If it is not specified, couldn't it make a case to allow the ESA?" 

Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 16.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

According to the Fair Housing Act, rental housing owners need to make a "reasonable accommodation" to allow pets who serve as assistance animals or emotional support animals. For more information, please view our Understanding the Fair Housing Act resource.

Sara Maria Muriello

Michelson Found Animals

• 17.  RE: Community Conversations - 3/25/24 - Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing

Posted 28 days ago

Thank you for engaging with our Keeping Pets and People Together in Rental Housing presentation! We had some incredible questions and comments posed in the chat during the live call that we weren't able to answer in real time, but would love to recognize and answer here. 

Do you have any data / feedback from rental property owners on why they are not pet-friendly/ pet inclusive?

When we talk with rental housing operators about opening up to more pets, they often cite concerns about insurance and liability issues, pet damage to rental units, risk of large animals and certain breeds, and responsibility to sustain the health and safety of the community as concerns. While we understand that these are real concerns, we also think there are ways to get beyond these barriers, many of which have been in place for a long time and are not often reconsidered:

• When it comes to the insurance and liability issue, the truth is that pet-inclusivity is a minor factor on rental property insurance pricing; more than two-thirds of owner/operators are aware of non-restrictive insurance products that are available on the market; and pet-owning residents bear primary responsibility for damage or injury caused by pets, which can be solidified through renter's insurance.
    • Regarding pet damage to rental units, our research indicates that only 9% of pets are reported to cause any damage whatsoever, and the average damages are only $210. Furthermore, only 2% of pets caused damage requiring a security deposit deduction, with the majority of residents paying out of pocket to fix any damages.

• When it comes to risk of large animals and certain breeds, not only has dog bite data proven to be unreliable, but there is a growing body of research that points to the inadequacy of breed in predicting behavior.

• We also understand that rental housing operators have a responsibility to sustain the health and safety of the entire community, but they can do so while still being pet-inclusive by adopting clear policies and expectations that can help avoid negative outcomes.

I was under the impression State Farm is the only large renters insurance provider who does not have breed restrictions. Are there others?

Yes! In fact, we have a Renters Insurance Resource with six insurance companies that provide renters insurance with no breed restrictions. Unfortunately, it's harder to get a handle on commercial liability (landlord) insurance, but State Farm does not have breed restrictions there, either. We're working to get a better handle on this part. Please let us know if you become aware of other pet-inclusive insurance providers.

Please address the damage that pets can cause to rental property such as chewed woodwork & carpet by a dog and urine throughout an apartment from a cat. Expenses can be thousands to repair and there is the loss of rent while renovating.

Concerns about pet damage to rental units is valid, but our research indicates that only 9% of pets are reported to cause any damage whatsoever, and the average damages are only $210  well below the average security deposit. Furthermore, only 2% of pets caused damage requiring a security deposit deduction, with the majority of residents paying out of pocket to fix any damages.

Can the graphic with the "pet friendly" vs. pet inclusive data be shared publicly?

Yes! We've linked to the file here for easy reference.

Is there any data on if a shelter pet passed a CGC to allow them into a rental unit?

We don't currently have this data, but it would be a great research question to consider for our PIHI Report 2.0 that will be published later this year!

Last I checked, it was a requirement in some government and city assisted housing that cats be declawed.

While we do not know of every pet policy each rental housing operator has in place, in our experience, we have not encountered a rental housing operator that requires cats to be declawed. Also, according to the Department of Housing and Urban Development's (HUD) Admissions and Continued Occupancy Policy (ACOP) Development Guide, "HUD's position on cat declawing is that it is not a requirement or condition of pet ownership in public housing and encourages PHAs to refrain from engaging in this practice. HUD follows the ASPCA's guidance on declawing cats."

Unfortunately, Permanent Change of Station (PCS) Orders for Active Duty Military will frequently include breed/number restrictions.

We are aware that military housing often has restrictive pet policies, particularly around breed and number of pets allowed, and we believe many of our resources that help traditional rental housing operators open up access to more pets can benefit military housing as well. With our limited resources, we have to put our efforts towards making the biggest impact the fastest which means we are primarily focused on conventional market-rate and affordable rental housing, but we continue to work towards a pet-inclusive world that welcomes renters and their companion animals of all species, breeds, and sizes.

My guess is that damage and uncontrolled/scary dog issues just need support. It would be great if RHO would let people know about community resources for solving problem behaviors. An exuberant, friendly large dog bouncing on the end of a leash can be scary to a small child, elderly person, someone afraid of dogs.

We agree, as concerns about pet behavior are something we often hear from rental housing operators. We encourage rental housing operators to consider each pet as an individual and to replace arbitrary breed and weight restrictions with reasonable community policies and holistic information that can help keep people and pets safe.

Sara Maria Muriello
    Michelson Found Animals