Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

• 1.  Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 10 days ago

Updated 5/13/24 at 2:30pm - Recording now available!

We hope to see you on the next Community Conversations call on Monday, 5/13/24 at 11am PT for a presentation titled, "Foster Healing Series" by leadership team members of Four Winds Connections: @Marilou Chanrasmi, @Shahar Fearing and @Anna Kucera.

Nearly half of all domestic violence victim-survivors remain in abusive situations rather than leave their pets behind. Four Winds Connections is working at the intersection of domestic violence and human-pet well-being. Our journey began with the creation of the Fostering Healing Series, a program that aims to reach domestic violence victim-survivors and other marginalized groups who aren't often involved in animal rescue and fostering. We share knowledge and build the confidence needed to care for foster dogs all while forging deeper connections within the group and sharing tools to improve well-being for all. In addition, we recently partnered to establish the Minnesota Pet Foster Coalition - a collaboration of Four Winds Connections with three domestic violence organizations and two animal rescue groups to create a statewide pool of foster families that are trained and dedicated to keeping pets safe when their person is ready to seek help. Join us in conversation as we spotlight the need for animal welfare involvement in addressing domestic violence in our communities.

About Four Winds Connections: 

Four Winds Connections lives and loves radically at the intersection of human and animal well-being. We work within communities, support change, and invite healing through the human-animal bond.

Learn more about their vision, values and support their mission: https://www.fourwindsconnections.org/about-us.html

Please note we will be using the new Zoom link for this call.  We know that many of you recently re-registered for these calls (THANK YOU!). However, there was a technical glitch this week and you will need to register again. Thank you so much and we will see you Monday! https://maddies.fund/CommunityConvoRegistration2024. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email from Zoom with the new link to join the call.

As always, this discussion thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like.  After you watch the recording on-demand or attend the call live, be sure to complete this new May 2024 entry form to enter to win up to a $5,000 grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-may24-giveaway.htm

#FosterPrograms
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you everyone! This was such a great call. I loved hearing about the organic connections that you facilitated in the community, to strengthen and broaden the reach of the program through creating a  coalition. 

Shonyae Johnson - CPDT-KA
    Program + Operations Management
    Behavior Manager
    Operation Kindness
    www.operationkindness.org

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you to the 129+ people and paws who joined us on today's Community Conversations call! The recording is now available to watch on-demand. Below you'll find a recap of the call and attached to this comment are a few resources shared by the Four Winds Connections team including the slides used for an information session for new fosters and a handbook on the first 72 hours for foster volunteers.

Call Recap

• Welcome from hosts
    • Question of the Day: National Apple Pie Day is 5/13! What is your favorite pie?
      • "Cherry Pie with Gluten Free Crust!!" - Mary Flores
      • "Pineapple Pie! My mom made the best pineapple pie!" - Marilou Chanrasmi
      • "Chocolate Silk" - Kelly Beaty
      • "my first time joining  and blueberry pie!" - Alaina Creswell
      • "Does Pizza Pie count?" - Lucy Fernandez
      • "Banana cream!" - Anna Kucera
      • "any fruit pie" - Alexis Svehla
      • "I love a good chocolate pie! But I'm known for my apple pie." - Kelly Clardy
      • "P-nut Butter Pie!" - Kirstin Tanner
      • "Marionberry!" - Mikhaila Worle
      • "Shoo Fly ( I am PA Dutch)" - Roxane Fritz
      • "Ooh, pumpkin pie!" - Michelle Pease
      • "Pumpkin Pie" - David PAWS NY
      • "strawberry cheesecake" - Kim Jackson
      • "chocolate peanut butter cream pie" - Amy Sites
      • "Cherry pie!" - Jenna Riedi
      • "Cheesecake!" - Stephanie Kendrick
      • "Peach is my favorite pie" - Alisha Vianello
      • "Lemon Meringue!" - Sarah Swanty
      • "Pumpkin pie is my favorite pie!!!" - Ashley Ray
      • "I just had coconut creme pie!!" - Irene Chansawang
      • "I worked at Marie Callendars for over 10 years! My favorite along with Pecan pie all mode" - Sharon Fletcher
      • "Peach pie" - Kenni Kennedy
      • "Banana Cream" - Krista Barnes
      • "Banana Crème!" - Krista Coutts
      • "French apple pie" - Penny Leisch
      • "pumpkin all year!" - Kirsten Vantwoud
      • "rhubarb" - Donna Miller
      • "Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie" - Jenny Franz

• National Updates
    • Today's Presentation - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series 
    • Highlights from the Chat
      • "Hi everyone, my name is David and I work in NYC. PAWS NY is an organization that helps vulnerable individuals who face financial and physical obstacles with critical pet care including house call visits, emergency foster and vet care, and pet pantry services." - David PAWS NY
      • "When I googled 'sociocracy' - Sociocracy makes a distinction between consent and consensus in order to emphasize that circle decisions are not expected to produce a "consensus" in the sense of full agreement. In sociocracy, consent is defined as "no objections", and objections are based on one's ability to work toward the aims of the organization." - Irene Chansawang
      • "That is a wonderful program. MS could benefit from a program like this." - Kim Jackson
      • "That is AMAZING adaptability within the session, Marilou." - Lawrence Minnis
      • "So nice to see the strong partnerships!" - Irene Chansawang
      • "This is a wonderful program to roll out!" - Mikhaila Worle
      • "I love programs such as these, Humane Indiana has a crisis foster program for northwest Indiana. 💜" - Chrissie Moore
      • "Wonderful work with the coalition! It looks like there were a lot of interest for fostering in such a short time." - Julielani Chang
      • "I love the organic partnerships that developed! You all are amazing. Connecting similar organizations that hadn't worked prior but were working towards the same mission. Creating a space for individuals focused on human-wellbeing to be a part of the animal fostering experience. Pulling resources together to support the mission from a collective standpoint." - Shonyae Johnson
      • "This is such a great idea for both sides!!!" - Janette Martin
      • "For fostering victim-survivors' animals, how do you navigate the liability regarding caring for an owned animal? We have a foster program for animals that 'belong to us,' but when I've proposed fostering for owned animals such as those of people in the hospital or domestic violence shelters I've met with concern about these issues. Perhaps the concerns stems from my state's definition of animals as 'property.'" - Sara Fitzgerald
      • "Have a great week everyone - thank you!" - Chrissie Moore
      • "Thank you so much! This was an amazing presentation!" - Beth Porter
      • "Great work!" - Lois Vassilion
      • "Thank you...innovation is definitely driving my passion for the profession.  Have a great week" - Nicole King

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

Attachment(s)

pdf
    MNPFC Info Session.pdf   588 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you for having us! Here are a few more resources for everyone ...

Anna Kucera
    Volunteer
    Four Winds Connections
    MN

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 5 days ago

Thanks for posting these Anna! :) ... wanted to also share a link to an MPR piece (New program looking for fosters to help keep domestic violence survivors with their pets) about the coalition as we launched and put the plea out for fosters. Within a couple weeks we had 151 people fill out the interest form and of those 89% said yes to fostering for the first 72 hours (which was our immediate need) and 52% said yes to fostering longer term (up to 90 days).

Marilou

Four Winds Connections

Marilou Chanrasmi
    Four Winds Connections

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 6 days ago

Thank you for the question about navigating liability in caring for an owned animal. When a victim-survivor is ready, we have them read and sign a form that covers "consent to care." This includes an understanding that the coalition will provide housing and veterinary care for their pet(s). Participants must initial that they understand that unaltered animals will be altered, core vaccinations will be brought up to date, and any medical conditions that arise will be treated by a licensed veterinarian. It also covers the very unlikely need to humanely euthanize a pet.

Anna Kucera
    Volunteer
    Four Winds Connections
    MN

• 7.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 2 days ago

Thank you, Anna. That's great context that I'm able to share with my colleagues. I think one of the concerns I've encountered has had to do with our liability should something go wrong in the foster arrangement. You addressed the unlikely euthanasia. What about if a foster loses a pet or the pet gets injured while in care? Is that covered in your consent to care form? Any chance you could share the form with me? 

Sara Fitzpatrick
    Community Engagement Manager
    Santa Fe Animal Shelter & Humane Society

• 8.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 2 days ago

Absolutely! Please see attached for the forms we use with owners, as well as short-term and long-term fosters. I of course recommend that you have your own legal counsel review before using a modified version of any of these in your home state.

Anna Kucera
    Volunteer
    Four Winds Connections
    MN

Attachment(s)

• 9.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 2 days ago
    Thank you! 

--

Sara Fitzpatrick (she/her)

Community Engagement Manager

100 Caja del Rio Road, Santa Fe, NM 87507

505.983.4309 // sfhumanesociety.org

• 10.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 5 days ago

Unanswered question from the chat:

"I am fascinated with the Fostering Healing Series you offer. Who are the recipients for this series? the DM victim survivors themselves, rescues or the general public. How long is the series which is composed of 3 different courses? Can you also mention what is the % of these individuals are interested in short term (72hrs)?" - Julielani

Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 11.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 5 days ago

@Julielani Chang our target audience for the Fostering Healing series was originally designed for victim-survivors and to also reach marginalized communities. There is a little more information on our .website. We offered the first course (4 weeks) as a pilot (Introduction to fostering). We have not yet offered course 2 (fostering in practice, 6 weeks) and course 3 (3 mths - intro to dog training). After the first course, in our commitment to listening to the community and our partner organizations (domestic violence shelter) it became clear there was a more pressing need- a need for 72 hour fosters. Out of the first course of Fostering Healing emerged the MN Pet Foster Coalition and the Fostering Healing series took a pause; however, we are now reaching out to former victim-survivors through our coalition partners. As for your question on the % of individuals who expressed interest in short term (72 hours) fostering .... of the 151 people that responded and expressed interest in volunteering/fostering, 89% of the 151 said they would be willing to foster short term (72 hours). @Shahar Fearing is there anything I missed or you would like to add?

Marilou Chanrasmi
    Four Winds Connections

• 12.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 5 days ago

That's a great recap of our journey so far with the Fostering Healing Series. Just to clarify that the new pool of pet foster homes that responded to the coalition's press release was open to the general public. As we move forward with the original program that will be available to marginalized groups (and will offer compensation for fostering), we are looking at modifying the first course and offering it to the foster pool we work with in the coalition.   

Shahar Fearing
    Leadership Circle
    F our Winds Connections
    MN

• 13.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/13/24 - Four Winds Connections: Foster Healing Series

Posted 2 days ago

Hi Marilou,

Thank you for your reply. I am not surprised to see that 89% prefer short-term fostering. Maybe we can talk more about this next week. 

Julielani Chang
    The Life of Kai: Compassion Connections Inc.
    Davis CA