Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-02-2023 12:01 PM

Updated 8/7 at 2:35pm - Recording now available to watch on-demand!

We hope to see you on August 7, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call! We will be joined by @Lucy Fernandez, Positive Alternatives to Shelter Surrender Manager at Austin Pets Alive! We will learn about the innovative Positive Alternatives to Shelter Surrender (P.A.S.S) program that Lucy oversees at APA. 

With over 35% of pets coming into shelters labeled as owner surrender, ramping up on proactive strategies and resources  in your organization can save more time, money, pets, and people!  Originally launched in 2010 as one of the founding recommendations of making Austin, TX a no-kill city, the Positive Alternatives to Shelter Surrender program through Austin Pets Alive manages over 10,000 cases throughout Texas to help keep pets out of the shelter system.  Lucy Fernandez, the PASS Program Manager, can guide you through the basics of getting started on community collaboration, data collection, and intake diversion.

Maddie's Fund will also be announcing the July grant giveaway winners for Community Conversations and Maddie's Pet Forum!
    Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration
    If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like.  After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this new August entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-aug23-giveaway.htm

#AdmissionsandIntake(includingIntake-to-placement)
    #CommunityPartnerships*
    #PetSupportServices*
    #Rehoming

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-07-2023 10:30 AM

Excited to see everyone to share the PASS Program start up guide!  

Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive
    Austin TX

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-07-2023 02:36 PM
      |   view attached

Thank you to the 180 attendees who joined us on today's call and a huge thank you to our guest speaker, @Lucy Fernandez from Austin Pets Alive!  The recording is now available to watch on-demand.  Below you'll find a recap of the agenda, resources and highlights from the chat. I've also attached a PDF of the presentation slides. If you have any additional questions you'd like to ask Lucy, please leave them in the comments below. 

AGENDA

• National Updates: (starts at 09:34)

PRESENTATION: Intake Diversion for Everyone! (starts at 14:20)

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE CHAT

• "As many as 75% of our intake is strays. We have a mandatory impound of stray dogs and cats to our open municipal shelter.  Finders have 24 hours to turn in animals to the shelter. TODAY at 6pm our County Council will vote to extend the time to 72 hours to allow a Return to Owner effort by the finder." - Anne George
    • QOD: "What does Community mean to you?"
      • "Baltimore MD - Community means where people come together to make things better" - Jennifer Brause
      • "Endless possibilities of potential support = community" - Lucy Fernandez
      • "Opportunity to share ideas and best practices allows continual improvements" - Elaine Edington
      • "Group of people with shared goals that supports its members" - Kathryn McCloud
      • "Community = a sense of belonging" - Kelly Clardy
      • "Community to me means coming together to support one another." - Holly Bendily
      • "A place where I can be vulnerable" - Karen Vandersall
      • "A place where you feel supported, comfortable, and have shared goals/ideals" - Linda Rubin
      • "Safe place with like minded people" - Shannon Roebuck
      • "To me community means a sense of shared responsibility for a place and the people who live there." - Steph Kendrick
      • "A woven net of everyone who interacts with the organization from transferring pets, caring for them and supporting them in the home. Volunteers, fosters, partners, supporters all" - Sara Price
      • "Shared, respectful diversity" - Brenda Trainor
      • "Morning from San Diego Humane Society, CA! Community means a shared feeling of partnership and goals to me." - Marissa Armijo
      • "I have to share Nadia's post on community - it's so good! What the "Pizza Co Cats" Taught Me About Community: https://www.californiaforallanimals.com/news-stories/what-pizzeria-cats-taught-me-about-community/" - Elise Pollard
    • "This is beyond exciting and we cannot thank you enough! Could not have come at a better time!" - betterTogether Forever-Christy Schilling
    • "Amazing work offering community resources!!!" - Jessica Gleason
    • "Hello! I'm Johanna with Jamie Brianna's Legacy Fund. Our main focus is intake diversion. We raise money to help shelters keep pets and their people together. This is right up our alley!" - Johanna Spielman
    • "We use Doobert for our transport logistics.  Currently working on a new process using Doobert Case Management module to accept and process animal submissions for transport from our Coalition members." - June Thomas
    • "These resources are fantastic." - Michelle Russillo
    • "Thank you, these resources are great! I'm from Hand2Paw in Philly and we do a lot of surrender prevention work with community members in North Philadelphia with our youth interns leading these efforts." - Sara Schwartz
    • "and a delightful presenter" - Michelle Russillo
    • "So much great info, thanks Lucy!" - Ivy Ruiz
    • "Amazing, thank you Lucy" - Tracy Mcquarrie
    • "Great vibes, Lucy!!" - Jessica Gleason
    • "Woohoo, Lucy! Thank you!" - Alison Martinez
    • "Thx very much Lucy! Great ideas, programs, resourcing & presentation!" - Claudie Labbe

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

Attachment(s)

pdf
    What is PASS_ Maddies CC.pdf   1.09 MB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 08-07-2023 03:03 PM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

Unanswered question from the chat: 

"Are there any HASS programs to develop seniors? Retired folks have time to help just need help to do so...Everything you are saying "QR codes, online templates, copy/paste, website this and that" can be very intimidating to non-techs. Think about non-tech only solutions."

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-07-2023 04:27 PM

Thanks so much for bringing up that question!  Having flyers and a hotline/text messaging option (affordable options through Google voice or Vonage) are great opportunities to connect support to/from non-tech folks.  Example for the flyer we use in the PASS program.  Include the hotline/text number along with the link to the Pet Help website.  

Get the flyer posted on NextDoor or in the local community paper.  I work with case managers from Meals on Wheels and Eldercare in Austin to meet the needs of seniors in the area and their pets.  My volunteer lead for the pet pantry rolls her eyes when I bring up integrated Slack into our protocols so I definitely try to meet everyone where they're most comfortable. 

The HASS Supported Self Rehoming group offers consultations by me or another member of the working group so we can assist directly according to your org and community's ecosystem: https://forms.gle/xBfpuBTrwF5X6UGw9

We've got templates and can help with customizing materials for you.  

Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive
    Austin TX

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-14-2023 10:06 AM

Hello! I just watched the recording of this presentation, and noticed that the url for the giveaway is for July 2023. Could you please post the August link? Thank you.

Pamela Adelmann

• 7.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-14-2023 10:10 AM

Although the  link at the end of this sentence is for July, I tried the hypertext link and that one worked. :)

After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this new August entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-jul23-giveaway.htm

Pamela Adelmann

• 8.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/7/23 - Intake Diversion for Everyone!

Posted 08-14-2023 10:21 AM

Good catch, Pamela! I just edited the original post and switched out that URL so the correct one for August is showing now.  Thanks for the heads up!

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund