Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

• 1.  Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-22-2024 01:49 PM

I am SHOCKED that in my County, as a legitimate 501-c-3Non-Profit with a perfect record has to get permission from the "local Humane Society"  to pull a dog from the County's Animal Control? It appears that would be favoritism and my taxes don't pay for the Humane Society? I pay ALL my own VETTING, so this appears to be an act tainted with favoritism? Why would the local "humane society" need to know my business?  Why are the Humane Society "in control" of the County Animal Control (kill shelter)? Can I sue them?

Mary Murray, LadywiththeHuskies, PROOF4PETS & https://greeneanimalleague.org

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #CommunityPartnerships*
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #LawsandPublicPolicy
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)
    #Rehoming

------------------------------
    Mary Murray
    CEO, Founder & President
    Greene Animal League
    TN

• 2.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-23-2024 04:53 AM

Our local Animal Controls have rescue partner applications for rescues and 501(c)(3) organizations. Contact them and ask if they have that where you are located. When I want to pull a pet, I just contact them. Hope this helps. 

Patty Giarrusso
    Lost Pet Services, Inc.

• 3.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-23-2024 05:35 AM

Just a few thoughts from the other side of the counter:  1. There may be a contract in place that the City and Humane Society have where all the adoptable animals go to the Humane Society for adoption.  I know here in Texas I am noticing more and more City facilities joining with Humane Society non profits to work joint facilities/operations.  The city handles the animal control/investgations side of it and the Humane Society handles the housing and adoptions side of it.   2. Some thing may have happened on the animal control side where they now ask the Humane Society to assist in vetting rescues.  I know we have been burned by a few rescues and sadly due to those few bad apples there are more stringent vetting procedures in place as well as it leaves a bad taste in everyones mouths.  Rescues believe city shelters have it out for them (which we do not - strictly speaking for ourselves only) and city staff get jaded with how some rescues work or interact with staff.

I am sorry you feel you have to resort to litigation to solve your concerns.  I hope that you are able to find someone higher up in the city network to find out why this is in place or was it just the one employee's thought process/understanding.  Open dialogue is always the best policy in my opinion.  It may not be what you want to hear but at least you would have more facts to go with.

Thank you for what you do in helping the animals in your area.  Take care

Chun Mezger
    Animal Services Officer
    North Richland Hills Animal Adoption & Rescue
    TX

• 4.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 02-23-2024 07:46 AM
    This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous

There is indeed favoritism IMO. In our area, there exists a (secret) Facebook group called "Trusted Rescues" or similar name. I was inadvertently added and shocked to see managers of local shelters as well. Apparently, there is a clique and these people appear to all be friends. They run background checks on volunteers of rescues not in that group, openly discuss the results among themselves and post about dogs that don't get shared to non-members. The group is run by a rescuer. I was curious as to what constitutes a "trusted rescue" in their mind. It turns out the majority of them are not even legally compliant and have had their 501c3 revoked, yet here they are pulling dogs from shelters whose managers are their friends. Soon enough,  they removed me. We don't pull from the shelters in any case because we prefer to take in owner surrenders before they hit the shelters. Several of these same people dominate local lost and found groups and I have seen dogs just "disappear" during the stray hold into their care somehow. The whole situqtion is disturbing to me. Our rescue does not engage with these specific people and is obviously not part of that inner circle. 

• 5.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-23-2024 07:47 AM

It will depend on where you are - at the State,County or City level. Here's a google search with a ton of info  https://www.animallaw.info/article/detailed-discussion-laws-regulating-rescue-and-foster-care-programs-companion-animals - if you're lucky, there will be a link or two that applies to your state. Sounds so absolutely wrong what's happening to your group, but IANAL or an expert in any way, so you'll need to dig further. Search for your state in the article, but take the time to read thru the other examples - it will at least give you an idea of the continuum of possibilities. if you search for California, for example, you'd see that ".... in states where the legislature has enacted an Animal Rescue Act, the rescue organizations or foster homes can step up and force a shelter to transfer the animal over to prevent euthanasia. In 1998, California passed what came to be known as Hayden's law. Part of the code requires animal shelters that have intentions of euthanizing an animal must transfer the animal to another rescue organization if the 501(c)(3) requests the animal (Cal. Food & Agr. Code § 31108(b)). Rather than killing the animal, the shelter can then charge a fee for the rescue organization to take the animal, as long as it is the not more than the adoption fee that a member of the public would pay for the animal. " Or Delaware - "Delaware law states that an animal may be transferred to another animal shelter or rescue organization (3 Del. Code § 8003(b)). In addition, the law states that an animal shall not be euthanized if a foster home is available or if a 501(c)(3) rescue organization is willing to take the animal (3 Del. Code § 8004)

Lisa Reed
    volunteer
    CARE4PAWS / ASAP cat shelter

• 6.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-23-2024 08:39 AM

That is bonkers.  I have definately found that animal controls will have their favorites though. 
    The one in my county tells us you have to go in person to see the animals and pick the ones you want to pull. But another rescue comments on the FB posts about intakes with a . (period) - no other words, just the punctuation - and they get the animal when it comes off hold.
    I reached out to another county and was told that their "regulars" get first dibs on anything that comes in. PLUS - pulling doesn't even go through the animal control. They have a "Friends of  XXX County Animal Shelter" group that gives permissions for rescues.

We have gotten to where we are mainly just taking in owner surrenders or from 1 or 2 specific animal controls that are more friendly to work with.

Sarah Hoadley
    Paws in Middle Georgia Animal Rescue

• 7.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-24-2024 03:50 AM

That seems very odd. In our county you have to fill out a rescue partner form and be approved to pull animals. We take in animals other than cats and dogs so we get calls from animal services whenever they have rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, etc. Have you spoken with whoever is in charge at animal services? 

Lisa Burn
    Co-founder/VP
    Farmhouse Animal & Nature Sanctuary
    Myakka City, FL
    https://farmhousesanctuary.org

• 8.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-24-2024 08:24 AM
    Thank you for ALL your responses! I feel I am a "victim of targeted discrimination" as well as the insiders do NOT want me to be successful! No one can show me in writing, the law, ordinance, arrangement, agreement, etc! There is just something "odd" about this, you would think my County Animal Control would be happy for me to "pull a dog" and SAVE a life! It appears they are being hateful vs grateful....I am in it to SAVE dog's lives,  like me or not? 

On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 6:52 AM Lisa Burns via Maddie's Pet Forum <Mail@maddiesfund.org> wrote:
    That seems very odd. In our county you have to fill out a rescue partner form and be approved to pull animals. We take in animals other than cats... -posted to the "Animal Welfare Professionals" community
    Maddie's Pet Forum

Animal Welfare Professionals

Post New Discussion Post New Discussion via Email
    Manage Profile   Listen to Candid Conversations Podcast
    Re: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Feb 24, 2024 3:50 AM
    Lisa Burns

That seems very odd. In our county you have to fill out a rescue partner form and be approved to pull animals. We take in animals other than cats and dogs so we get calls from animal services whenever they have rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, etc. Have you spoken with whoever is in charge at animal services? 

Lisa Burn
    Co-founder/VP
    Myakka City, FL
      Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

February 2024 Resource Drive: Team Engagement & Morale Boosters

Original Message:
    Sent: 2/24/2024 6:50:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Lisa Burn
    Co-founder/VP
    Myakka City, FL

• 9.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-26-2024 12:32 PM

So I dropped off my County Grant application today & next door is the County Mayor's office. He is unavailable, however, secretary/assistant has advised me " she thinks I am getting the "run around" because the Humane Society needs the money"? WHAT?  SAVING a dogs life is far more important than the Humane Society getting money! WOW!!! SAVING a dog's life is far more important than "euthanasia"???? To reiterate, there is NO written law, ordinance, agreement  and/or arrangement in writing in this County! I am the "only one to challenge" this program as our growth rate for this County is exceptionally high! Higher Population requires  "room to grow & be progressive"!! I do provide all VETTING costs! This is "unbelievable" , GREED and IRRESPONSIBILITY!

Mary Murray
    CEO, Founder & President
    Greene Animal League
    TN

• 10.  RE: Does a legitimate 501-c-3 have to ask permision from their Humane Society to pull a dog from Animal Control?

Posted 02-26-2024 01:09 PM

As a Humane Society, that has a contract with the city we are located in, we would absolutely have to give permission to pull a dog to rescue. We are our own entity, yet we still have the contract, and we are responsible for the posting of the pictures of lost dogs and potential adoptable dogs.  The city will have no idea on what is going on, on that end of the process. Hopefully, that will make sense and help out a little.

Elise Blue
    NEMO Humane Society