Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Latest Discussions

• Profile Picture

Hyperarousal in Dogs

If you work or volunteer for a shelter or rescue, you probably have a dog or several dogs who are excitable. Many of these dogs just need a little training. A lot less commonly, a dog might be experiencing hyperarousal. They get super excited and have difficulty calming down or regulating their emotions. ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Adopting FeLV cats

There is a Maddie's webcast on this topic, presented by Monica Tarant, formerly of APA!/AmPA! and Dr. Julie Levy of the University of Florida Shelter Medicine Program. https://university.maddiesfund.org/products/feline-leukemia-testing-one-and-done-for-everyone Also, if you type "FeLV" into the search ... See More

• Profile Picture

Puppy With "Swimmers"

We have a very responsible breeder whose female bully recently had three pups with "swimmers." Two of the babies are up walking now and are doing great. They are 6 weeks and have received their vaccinations and deworming. He is going to sterilize both and either keep them as pets or find them ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Feral Cat Shelters

Keep us posted on any new and great designs! ------------------------------ Samantha Polen Executive Director T-Town TNR, Inc. Tulsa OK https://www.ttowntnr.com/ ------------------------------ See More

• Hi Sarah, I'm giving my 2 cents from working in animal control even though I'm not in adoptions. My first principle is honesty. The adopter deserves information and they deserve the truth. It can be easy to assume they won't understand/handle it well/etc but to do less would be unjust. So you need ... See More

• Hi Sarah, I agree with Sheila, communication is key. We have two people, myself and one of our board members, talk to the applicant during the adoption process, then we compare notes. It has helped make our adoption process go much smoother and helps cut down on the stress of "did I do the right thing ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: next door volunteers

I plan on following your post because I am trying to do the same thing. One local rescuer has almost 3,000 people on her NextDoor and I have 30. All success stories are greatly appreciated. ------------------------------ Candy Sullivan Managing Director Candy's Cats, Inc. FL --------------------- ... See More

• Have you looked into wholesale suppliers or nearby farm supply stores? They might have great deals on non-clumping litter in bulk. You could also try contacting manufacturers for special bulk pricing. Best of luck with your rescue work! ------------------------------ Anna Watts UI/UX designer TeamLab ... See More

• Profile Picture

RE: Rural, Small Community In Need of Rescue Partners ...

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous You might want to check with Final Victory Animal Rescue out of West Columbia, SC. They partner with groups in the north east and move a large amount of dogs up each week to be adoptive homes. They might be able to give you more information ... See More

Latest Library Entries

Most Active Members