Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

• 1.  Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-17-2023 12:34 PM

Recording now available to watch on-demand! 

We hope to see you on Monday August 21, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call. We will learn more about the technical platform BestyBnB and how they are working to bridge the gap between Animal Services and Social Services. 

Up to 50% of domestic abuse survivors will delay leaving a dangerous situation because they fear what will happen to their pets. Yet only 10% of domestic violence shelters have the means to house companion animals. Cue the BestyBnB online platform. This new technology program helps animal shelters, domestic violence agencies, housing advocacy organizations, mental health centers, and other social service agencies secure safe, confidential, temporary foster homes for clients' pets during their time of crisis while maintaining that vital and powerful human-animal bond. BestyBnB's co-founders and director of engagement & program development will be joined by KC Pet Project to show how it can be done in your community.

BestyBnB also just received the Human Animal Bond Research Institute's Innovation Award for Pet-Inclusive Infrastructure!

Presenters:

BestyBnB in Oklahoma news:
    Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration
    If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like.  After you watch the recording on-demand or attend the call live, be sure to complete this new August entry form to enter to win up to a $5,000 grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-aug23-giveaway.htm

#CaseManagement*
    #CommunityPartnerships*
    #FosterPrograms
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-18-2023 08:47 AM

Looking forward to joining the weekly convo and sharing about our work to prevent owner surrenders and support pet owners in crisis by partnering with incredible animal service agencies! Thank you for having us!

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    Director of Engagement and Program Development
    BestyBnB

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 12:30 PM

Sounds like a wonderful way to keep people and pets together as one of our biggest hurdles is pet parents in crisis needing temporary foster care.  I would love to talk more on how to bring this to Los Angeles as we work with both the animal shelter (LA City North Central), other animal welfare organizations, as well as human service organizations like LAFH, HEART, etc.  Would it be possible to set up a zoom or call?  I can be reached at christy@peopleandpetsbtf.org or 818-726-4235.  I hope to hear from you.  Thank you!

Christy Schilling
    Co-Founder & Executive Director
    betterTogether Forever
    Glendale CA

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 12:42 PM

Hi Christy, wonderful to connect with you! We would love to meet with you via Zoom. I will send you an email to coordinate schedules. Sounds like you are doing incredible work in LA. I hope you are staying safe from the storm! 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 12:59 PM

Wonderful!  I will look forward to your Email.  All good here and hope all is well there also as seems like everyone everywhere is experiencing weather challenges, natural or human-made disasters.  These are very tough times and why your service/platform is so valuable!  Thank you.

Christy Schilling
    Co-Founder & Executive Director
    betterTogether Forever
    Glendale CA

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 07:34 AM

Hi Zoe, I was not there for your talk but I just watched the recording and think your organization offers an excellent and much-needed service. Bravo on a innovative approach.  I have a few questions. Can anyone use this service - the public, pet parents, rescues, and shelters? Is there any requirement to be met in order to use BestyBnB? Is there a limit to the time of needed caregiving? days to weeks to months? I often see pet parents in the services that go on deployment and need care for their pets, would this be a viable option for them? Do the pet caregiver carry their own insurance or it is provided? How medical care is provided if the pet needs it?  I saw that the caregivers receive some training. Could you elaborate on what does the training entail? I really like the aspect that they have to go through a background check. Can't wait to learn more.  Thanks.

Like Christy, I am wondering how this would work for foster care and I would love to hear more regarding that option. 

Julielani Chang
    The Life of Kai: Compassion Connections Inc.
    Davis CA

• 7.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 08:50 AM

Hi Julielani,

Happy to hear you had a chance to watch the recording. Thank you for the kind words and interest! Below are the answers to you question. We would love to meet with you via zoom to discuss in more detail. If you'd like to schedule a call feel free to send me an email so we can coordinate schedules - zagnewsvoboda@bestybnb.com.

Can anyone use this service - the public, pet parents, rescues, and shelters? 

- There is a consumer-facing platform for the general public to book a pet sitter. Pet caregivers can offer a standard rate for the general public and offer a discounted rate or donate their services to our non-profit partners. We partner with all kinds of organizations who are looking to expand their services to prevent owner surrenders. 

Is there any requirement to be met in order to use BestyBnB? 

- Anyone can create a BestyBnB account! We partner with animal welfare organizations big or small, as well as substance use and mental health treatment facilities, domestic violence agencies, and those working with the houseless population. Folks who are not part of an organization but would still like to support people and pets can sign up to become a BestyBnB pet caregiver. 

Is there a limit to the time of needed caregiving? days to weeks to months?

- There is no time limit for booking a stay with the pet caregiver. Some clients may need this services for just a day or two, and some may need it for 6 months while waiting for housing. The length of stay is determined by the agency providing the service through BestyBnB and the pet caregiver's availability. In the instance that a pet caregiver is unable to house the pet for the length of time needed or an emergency pops up, a transfer to a new pet caregiver can be facilitated through the platform. 

I often see pet parents in the services that go on deployment and need care for their pets, would this be a viable option for them?

- We would love to offer this service to those on deployment and are actively looking for ways to connect with the VA to assist.  

Do the pet caregiver carry their own insurance or it is provided?

- Each pet caregiver and pet owner sign a release of liability and pet care agreement. This protects the agency and pet caregiver from any liability cases that involve the pet. We have never run into any issues regarding the safety of pets in care or the safety of the pet caregiver but the release of liability is there to protect your agency in the unlikely event that something may happen. 

How medical care is provided if the pet needs it?

- Because many of the clients seeking crisis support are unable to cover the cost of veterinary care we work with our agency partners to create relationships with organizations that can offer discounted or free veterinary services. We have found that our agency partners have been very successful in raising funds to cover the cost of this care. If this cost is not something our agency partners can take on the release of liability and pet care agreement also states that the pet owner is ultimately responsible for veterinary care. 

I saw that the caregivers receive some training. Could you elaborate on what does the training entail? 

- Our pet caregivers go through video training on confidentiality, pet care, and how to introduce a pet into a new home environment. In addition, we are actively working to partner with a national organization that specialized in animal behavior to expand this training. 

I hope this answers your questions! We would love to meet with you to discuss more soon! 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 8.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 03:23 PM
      |   view attached

Thanks to the 188+ people who joined us on today's call. The recording is now available to watch on-demand. After you watch the recording or if you attended the live call, be sure to complete this August entry form to enter to win up to a $5,000 grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-aug23-giveaway.htm

You can find a recap of the agenda, national updates and resources shared below. If you have any follow up questions you'd like to ask our guest speakers, please reply to this thread with them.

• Welcome from Hosts
    • Question of the Day: What's your pet's name and what are the nicknames you call your pet?
      • "My pup is Joshua aka Handsome Pants" - Jennifer Salan
      • "One of my cat's is named Ford but we call him Chocolate Sauce for specific reasons" - Michaela Baltasar-Feyen
      • "My feline crew: Mauwee, Hana, Kula, Nani. Nicknames include Prancing Paws, Floofy, Little Bit, Fluffy Pants, and on and on and on..." - Anna Boeche
      • "I have a greyhound named Emily... Ems, Emily Remily, Emmers, WhatsInYourMouth, Stink Dog" - Mary Flores
      • "Cat's name is Westley (Princess Bride) but we call him Wessleton (which is a very specific Frozen reference)" - Amanda Coburn
      • "My twin tabbies are also known as the twinkies. Their official names are Officer Nosey O'Malley the Elder and Tessie Toesy the Lesser, but they go by Noodles and TT mostly. I LOVE this question!" - Amber Eby
      • "Molly aka Molecule aka Tamale is one of many examples." - Nadia Oseguera
      • "Mona-Mona Lisa, Mona Lisa Saperstein when she's being wild. Mona Moo, Moona, Baby Brown..we come up with new names daily. 🙂" - Erika Skouby-Pratte
      • "Lark, larkie-loo, noseypants, floof butt, mr boop" - Cinder Wilkinson-Kenner
      • "My dog Gidget is AKA Gidgeylicious, GeeGee, Gidgey and baby Gee. My dog Dexter is D-man, Dex, D.Terriorist, and Big D" - Kim Domerofski
      • "I have 2 Bouviers, an 11 mo. old female called Kodi and a 4.5 y.o. male called Tucker (aka Mr. Fluffypants - which I think I heard someone else also uses as a nickname)." - Kathy Duncan
      • "My dog's name is Dakota, but her nickname has become "stop chewing the rug!" for obvious reasons...." - Maria S
      • "Dewey, Governor Dewesom, Dew (nicknames) Reggie, Reginald Kevin, Reg and Ru (nicknames)" - Sharon@MaddiesFund.org
      • "Jacob, he goes by Jakey, JakeJake, Jake-a-saurus Rex" - Josh Hamra
      • "Clark - Clarkasourous, fluffy butt, little    Indy - Biggie, Dr. Jones" - Alissa Webster
    • National Updates
    • Presentation: Pets and People: Safe, together, Connected with BestyBnB (recording starts at 01:06) 
    • Highlights from the Chat
      • "Wonderful. I remember mentioning respite care at a convention years ago and the leadership people asked if that was really a need. We were already working with Meals on Wheels PALS program and one of the local mental health agencies. Later, we consulted with two other agencies who wanted to start programs. We were too small to take it further and then covid hit too. I'm so excited to see this resource. I know there are limited programs here in Austin trying to make it work, but it's been slow." - Penny Leisch
      • "Love this feature! And the privacy afforded" - Jennifer Salan
      • "Love the work you are doing!! Cannot emphasize enough that all of us should consider being a BestyBnB partner. #strongwork" - Gina Knepp
      • "Yes! That's what we love about it. That and the confidential connection between caregivers and pet owners. So good!" - Lindsay Hamrick
      • "We had seniors having to choose between giving up their pets or having surgery because they had no one to care for the pet for a couple of weeks. So they avoided getting care and if they gave up a pet, they were depressed and recovery was compromised. I like the way this is structured. I used to work in social services too. This is a well-designed program especially when there are security considerations for the pet owner and the caregivers due to the owner situation. Very encouraging to see this work." - Penny Leisch
      • "It is such a well thought out emergency shelter idea. I was immediately drawn to it at Expo. Question: Who holds the court paperwork to prove the animal is legally being held should the accused perpetrator come to the open-admission shelter looking for a family pet? This has situation has occurred at our shelter. Our staff's safety would be a critical concern. As the only open-admission shelter in Charleston County, SC, we could become a magnet for those looking for animals in transition. Also, we have been sheltering animals for years discreetly partnering with My Sister's House and 180 Place but don't advertise it or fundraise on it for this reason." - Lisa Pearce
      • "Such a good point about foster at home cost v cost of in shelter care." - Jennifer Salan
      • "Very important program!" - Genevieve Frederick
      • "I've been knowing Andy and his team for a couple of years!!! Besty BNB is very much needed!!!" - Vincent Medley
      • "We all need this program." - Annette Bedsworth
      • "I would try for grants that support domestic violence resources and shelters that can't accommodate pets might want to partner for grant money in this area. Also, senior services organizations are possible partners." - Penny Leisch
      • "We are opening a family justice center for our Domestic violence shelter; we'd like to involve pet care. Are there any grant funds or capital funds available for this?" - Brittany Jackson
      • "Thank you! This is amazing! You will be hearing from Sol Dog Lodge!!!!" - Mary Flores
      • "Excellent program and presentation.... thanks!" - April King
      • "thank you so much I have learned a lot even though we are on another continent." - Virginia Doucet
      • "Yall are SO young to be making such a huge difference!!!" - Norma Wallace

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 9.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 08-21-2023 03:25 PM

Unanswered question from the chat:

"Even if not an animal shelter or rescue but a surrender prevention/shelter intervention organization supporting pets to remain with the people that love them could we be a member?" - Christy Schilling

• 10.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 07:05 AM

BestyBnB partners with animal welfare organizations of all kinds. Pet Resource Center of Kansas City is a wonderful BestyBnB partner that specializes in low-cost veterinary services and owner surrender prevention. We would love to partner with any organization that shares our passion to prevent owner surrenders and keep pets and people together. 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 11.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 03:26 PM

Unanswered questions from the chat related to grant funding:

"Who can we reach out to for more information/applications regarding grant funding for shelters?" - Deja

"Yes, where would we find grant opportunities to help pay for this?" - Lisa Pearce

"We are opening a family justice center for our Domestic violence shelter; we'd like to involve pet care. Are there any grant funds or capital funds available for this?" - Brittany Jackson

• 12.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 07:09 AM

- Folks can reach out to myself and/or the co-founders, Andy Bond and Matt Krentz. We would love to schedule a zoom call with anyone who is interested in learning more about BestyBnB and provide a full demo of our platform. 

zagnewsvoboda@bestybnb.com

abond@bestybnb.com

mkrentz@bestybnb.com

- There are several grant opportunities that can support temporary housing for pets. As part of a partnership with BestyBnB we work with development teams to connect to grant opportunities and support with donation drives and marketing.

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 13.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 03:27 PM

"To clarify, we can foster the animals in the shelter that we already have with besty bnb? Also, recommend for our private adoption requests? or surrender inquiries? I can refer them to besty bnb?" - Deja

• 14.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 08:52 AM

BestyBnB is not a direct service provider but partners with organizations that work with pet owners in crisis. Our clients are the organizations we partner with. When a client reaches out to BestyBnB directly we refer them to one of our agency partners. We would love to chat with animal shelters about the possibility of using BestyBnB to expand their foster care network! 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 15.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 03:28 PM

"Are there any integrations with other software platforms? Lots of people are already using other tools to manage fosters." - Maria S

• 16.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 08:57 AM

At this time we are not integrated with any other software platforms but hope to establish partnerships in the future as we continue to grow. 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 17.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-21-2023 03:34 PM

"What is the average time a pet is boarded when put into Bestybnb?" - Kimberly Moore

• 18.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 08:59 AM

The average time spent in boarding depends on where the client is receiving services and their needs. Our mental health and substance abuse treatment facility partners see an average of 30 days because that is the average length of their treatment plan. For our partners working with the houseless population the length of stay is longer, around 66 days. We recommend starting small and offering a limited time that fits the agency's budget. We work with our agency partners to create policies that work best for their services. 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 19.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-22-2023 02:02 PM

Just registered for the weekly community conversations!!! Excited to join!!!

Dawnita Lowe
    Animal Caretaker/Pet Owner
    Community Member

• 20.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-26-2023 12:00 PM

I just watched the recording and am so excited about this!  My question is who provides the food, litter, and any other needed supplies to the caregiver?

Sincerely,
    Johanna Spielman
    Founder of Jamie Brianna's Legacy Fund
    https://jamiebriannaslegacyfund.org/

• 21.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-28-2023 11:48 AM

Hi Johanna, thanks for the kind words! We are so glad to hear you enjoyed the presentation. We have found donation drives for in-kid support such as food, toys, treats, and other supplies are super successful. BestyBnB works with our partner organizations to support them in planning donation drives. We also work with national organizations that may be able to provide our non-profit partners with in-kind donations of pet supplies.

While it is up to each organization to set what kind of supplies they are able to provide to the pet caregiver, we have found that it is best practice to support pet caregivers by providing them with food and some essential supplies. 

We would love to meet with you via Zoom to discuss the support we are able to offer further! 

Zoë Agnew-Svoboda
    BestyBnB

• 22.  RE: Community Conversations - 8/21/23 - Pets and People: Safe, Together and Connected with BestyBnB

Posted 08-28-2023 05:34 PM

Thank you, Zoe. I was really just curious and you answered my question perfectly. My organization raises money to help shelters keep pets and their people together, so like you, we don't provide direct support to the public. I'm just so excited to share Besty BnB with the organizations we work with, if they weren't on the call themselves, because this is something we could fundraise for and aligns perfectly with our mission! 

Sincerely,
    Johanna Spielman
    Founder of Jamie Brianna's Legacy Fund
    https://jamiebriannaslegacyfund.org/