Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 07-30-2022 11:04 AM
    Hi,

My name is Dawn Isenhart with Lulu's Locker Rescue. We are a small rescue in the South Chicagoland area. In our county (Will County) there isn't an organized TNR group that works this area. We would like to start helping more. We want to put together a plan as to not get overwhelmed. We have thought about announcing that we can sponsor X number of spay/neuter packages per month. I was just wondering if anyone recently started a similar program and would have any advice?
    Thank you,
    Dawn
    #CommunityCatManagement

------------------------------
    Dawn Isenhart
    President
    Lulu's Locker Rescue

• 2.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 07-31-2022 12:25 PM
    We do TNVR exclusively in Tulsa, OK.    We are different from most TNR programs in the US because we do most of the trapping and manage all of the clinic appointments for the cats that are trapped by our team or the property owner that we work with.   We do not have our own clinic so scheduling and coordination of cats, colonies and equipment require quite a bit of data management.  We have averaged 1,500 cats a year for the last three years. 

The most important tip I can give you is to practice "targetted trapping"... aiming for the entire group of cats  (colony) ... and if at all possible, focus on the cats in a given neighborhood or area.  Otherwise, you will never make a noticeable impact on your community as far as reducing the unowned cat population.   While it is true that every cat spayed or neutered is a win and the life of that cat will be immeasurably better, it will do little for the group of cats that cat lives and eats with and there will continue to be more and more reproduction that will make your group and your supporters feel like you are on the proverbial treadmill.

I'm not entirely sure how you will do that if the public is trapping on its own... but I will tell you that our group was born because another local organization was selling spay/neuter vouchers for stray cats and those cat caregivers (or feeders) who were taking care of a group of cats (which is much more the norm than just one or two cats) could not get all the cats in the group in a timely manner because the feeder could only get two vouchers per month.   We saw a need and T-Town TNR was started to address groups of cats vs. the occasional stray or displaced cat (though we will certainly help with those too... they are just not our priority.)   

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.  We would have never been as successful as we are without the help of others that had experience to share with us!

Good luck and thank you for caring about the community cats in South Chicagoland!

Samantha Polen
    Executive Director
    T-Town TNR, Inc.
    Tulsa OK

• 3.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 08-01-2022 08:34 AM
    Samantha,

That makes complete sense to do target TNVR. Thank you so much for that feedback!

Dawn Isenhart
    President
    Lulu's Locker Rescue

• 4.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 08-01-2022 06:06 AM
    Hi Dawn;   Thanks so much for all that you do for cats.  Feel free to check out all of the resources at the Community Cats Podcast(www.communitycatspodcast.com).    Also, at the Online Cat Conference  we had a session on how to set up at TNR group- I would be happy to email you the link to access that session directly just let me know. 

This Sunday August 7 at 2pm ET we have a TNR Certification workshop and in the background we have folks from Neighborhood Cats that are happy to answer any questions you may have..  All of the info. is on the website.

We also have a Community Cats Podcast Group here on the Maddie's Forum. Feel free to join and ask questions there..

Thanks, Stacy

stacy lebaron

• 5.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 08-01-2022 08:36 AM
    Hi Stacy,

Thank you for all the resources. I would love the link to your session.

Dawn

Dawn Isenhart
    President
    Lulu's Locker Rescue

• 6.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 08-01-2022 08:17 AM
    Bayou Animal Services recently implemented a Community Cat Program.  See attached.  Feel free to contact me with questions.
    Ed

Edward Boks
    Executive Director
    Bayou Animal Services

• 7.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 08-01-2022 08:38 AM
    Thank you, Ed! I will go over the attachments and reach out with any questions.

Dawn

Dawn Isenhart
    President
    Lulu's Locker Rescue

• 8.  RE: Supporting the community with TNVR

Posted 09-07-2022 08:08 AM
    Hi Dawn!  I am president of Community Cats United Inc.  We have over 75000 members including in all 50 US states and 124 countries.  Has anyone helped you with starting TNVR?  TY for thinking of our cats!

Beth Frank
    President
    Community Cats United, Inc.