Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 02-20-2023 09:02 AM

Unregistered chips, disconnected phone numbers, rehomed lost pets and so many other frustrating scenarios plague the lost and found team when trying to reunite a lost pet with their people. I'm looking specifically for SOP's, but also any good tips or tricks to solving the hard to solve "ID trace" puzzles. What are your most successful pet detectives doing that is making a difference in your RTO rates for animals with messy ID situations?

#EducationandTraining
    #ReturntoHome(LostPetReunification)

------------------------------
    Nichole Boudreau
    Embedded Data & Implementation Coordinator
    Human Animal Support Services

• 2.  RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 03-19-2023 04:15 AM

One the best resources is the Microchip Help group, a service of Lost Dogs of America. A volunteer group dedicated to searching these unregistered, outdated hard to track down chips and people.   They help shelters, rescues, individuals  etc. All free of charge. 

I belong to this group and they are amazing at helping with these issues. 

https://www.microchiphelp.com/

Patty Giarrusso
    Lost Pet Services, Inc.

• 3.  RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 03-20-2023 04:20 AM

The Community Cat Podcast did a great interview with Corinne Bourgoin of the MSPCA where they have a RTO of over 30% for cats!  Enjoy!

https://www.communitycatspodcast.com/episode-484-corinne-bourgoin/

Stacy LeBaron
    Head Cat
    The Community Cats Podcast
    Warren VT
    978-239-2090

• 4.  RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 03-20-2023 05:24 AM
    Thank you.  

Patty Giarrusso
    President & Founder
    Lost Pet Services, Inc.
    (941) 900-8303

Best Nonprofit & Best Nonprofit Leader

Recognized by Sarasota Magazine

Report a Lost/Found Pet Here Lost/Found Pet Report
    Listen to Our Podcast On Let's Talk Pets Radio 

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 7:22 AM Stacy LeBaron via Maddie's Pet Forum <Mail@maddiesfund.org> wrote:
    The Community Cat Podcast did a great interview with Corinne Bourgoin of the MSPCA where they have a RTO of over 30% for cats!  Enjoy! www...
    Maddie's Pet Forum

Animal Welfare Professionals

Post New Discussion Post New Discussion via Email
    Manage Profile   Listen to Candid Conversations Podcast
    Re: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing
    Reply to Discussion Reply to Discussion via Email Reply Privately to Author Reply Privately to Author via Email
    Mar 20, 2023 4:20 AM
    Stacy LeBaron

The Community Cat Podcast did a great interview with Corinne Bourgoin of the MSPCA where they have a RTO of over 30% for cats!  Enjoy!

www.communitycatspodcast.com/...

Stacy LeBaron
    Head Cat
    Warren VT
    978-239-2090
      Reply to Discussion   Reply to Discussion via Email   Reply Privately to Author   Reply Privately to Author via Email   View Thread   Like   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Resource Drive: Welcoming Practices Share Now

Original Message:
    Sent: 3/20/2023 7:20:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

The Community Cat Podcast did a great interview with Corinne Bourgoin of the MSPCA where they have a RTO of over 30% for cats!  Enjoy!

https://www.communitycatspodcast.com/episode-484-corinne-bourgoin/

Stacy LeBaron
    Head Cat
    Warren VT
    978-239-2090

• 5.  RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 03-21-2023 01:59 PM

Stacy, I just listened to this and it was fantastic! Especially loved the story about the owner who passed away and next of kin was found, those stories are what it is all about. Thank you so much for the recommendation, and for all that you do for people and animals!!

Nichole Boudreau
    Embedded Data & Implementation Coordinator
    American Pets Alive/HASS

• 6.  RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 03-22-2023 01:23 PM

Oftentimes when I find a chip that isn't registered, I am saved by the company that bought the microchip. Let's say the microchip isn't registered, but the microchip company can tell me X shelter/vet bought the chip. I can then contact them, and they often have the animal and owner on file. 

Now if their system comes up with nothing, I will ask if they can check for an animal with the next/previous microchip, since chip numbers are sometimes input incorrectly. For example if I'm looking for an animal with the chip 111, I can check 110 and 112, see if 111  is a sibling or check for other animals around that intake date to see who would have been 111. Sometimes depending on their software this isn't possible, but it's worth a try.

Mary Furby
    Veterinary Medicine Supervisor
    Humane Society of Southeast Texas

• 7.  RE: Seeking SOP's for "Dead End" ID tracing

Posted 03-23-2023 08:20 AM

The implant/backtrack information is extremely helpful.  Another good option is to send the chip number to your animal control/animal services to ask if they have the chip in their system.  Many times the pet was previously picked up and they will have a record in their system.  We have been able to get a lot of pets whose chips weren't registered or otherwise updated home that way too.  I do highly recommend that you use microcochiphelp.com for any ones that you are stumped on.  They have access to many other tools and are very good at searching down the hard-to-find ones.  All services they offer are free of charge.  

Patty Giarrusso
    Lost Pet Services, Inc.